Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2 year old 75lb Australian Shepherd and Red Tick coonhound mix named Beethoven.
I've had him since he was 8 weeks old. I noticed he was different than most dogs. Don't get me wrong, I love that about him but he was my very first puppy that I raised and I was wondering if maybe some of his behavior might be normal (By normal I don't mean the text book term of normal: Like dog's love for chewing shoes) But maybe your dog has done something similar or completely unusual? I joined this site because ever since Beethoven was a puppy he has done this weird thing....

So after bringing Beethoven home (this was a few weeks into his stay) he kept opening the door and running done to the basement. Totally normal (well from what I hear) but our basement isn't really safe. (Won't go into details but let's just say it's only used when forced to go down there for the water heater)
Anyway To stop him from scratching the door open(please don't mention locking it. We have before and it's a long story I don't wanna get into) so we put an old vacuum in front of the door so he couldn't open the door anymore. Well it worked!!!!!! For around 2 or 3 days....

Beethoven was afraid of it! People say it is normal for a dog to fear a vacuum....but he was only afraid of it when it wasn't turned on! The vacuum was old and Beethoven was always fine to hear and see me vacuum the house. When done, I'd put it in the closet. So when it broke, we used it as a door stop. He was afraid of a broken vacuum! He growl, bark, and then whine as he tucked his tail between his legs.

He has done something similar all throughout his life with me. The second time around, it was after he turned one, we bought a steam cleaner from a yard sale. Brought it home and yeah it didn't work. Beethoven had the same reaction like he did before. The next time this happened (TODAY) Beethoven is 2 and when cleaning out the room we use for storage and what have you, but a broken handheld vacuum! It doesn't work and I actually didn't use it as a doorstop. I was about to throw it away but he noticed. He has that same reaction all over again. If it did work, he probably wouldn't be scared of it.

Has your pup done something like this? Has your pup done something worse?

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
He may have formed some association between these things and something that has disturbed him. A friend's dog, who was asleep under a coffee table woke and banged her head on the underside of the table. But she ”blamed” the ceiling fan and growled at it every time she came into the room after that.

So maybe he was hearing or smelling something in the cellar, or maybe something completely different, that he now associates with things that look like vacuum or steam cleaners.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He may have formed some association between these things and something that has disturbed him. A friend's dog, who was asleep under a coffee table woke and banged her head on the underside of the table. But she ”blamed” the ceiling fan and growled at it every time she came into the room after that.

So maybe he was hearing or smelling something in the cellar, or maybe something completely different, that he now associates with things that look like vacuum or steam cleaners.
Wow. I can't believe I never thought of that! That's actually a good point for the vacuum and steam cleaner that I placed in front of the basement door but I am curious about why he had that same reaction to an old broken hand held vacuum. Pulled it out of the storage room to throw it away but when he saw it his tail went between his legs he growled, barked, and whined the whole day. He noticed it on top of the trash and refused to come into the room. I had to beg him

1 - 3 of 3 Posts