Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a two and a half year old beagle that is absolutely out of control. He's been tearing apart everything from trash to the blinds in my windows. He screams and yelps all day long and no matter what I try he seems to be getting worse. He also goes to the bathroom in the house sometimes minuets after bringing him out. This behavior started around the same time that i started working a job that sometimes can run for 12 hours a day seven days a week and at the same time my boyfriend moved in with me. All of this I feel I could handle with more exercise and better traditional training methods but recently he's developed a whole new habit that I simply can't explain or seem to handle:
I have always slept with tucker in my bed. He sometimes even sleeps in my arms and I've myself developed quite a habit of it. Recently though if I move him to make room in the bed he started snarling viciously. He's never bit me or anyone else but it's been escalating. My boyfriend Dan and I have even been lying in bed watching tv, and Dan will be just petting him and he will start the snarling. He's even done it now and again when we are absolutely still and no one is touching him. Tonight I had him on my lap holding him like a baby and when I went to put him down he flipped out and attacked my other dog who was only sitting nearby us. This is the second time he's attacked her unprovoked, and he's snapped at my boyfriend and snarls and growls at him almost on a daily basis. Sometimes it's when he knows he's in trouble like when we come home and stuff has been ripped apart. Still he's never bitten either of us but he seems to be getting worse. I know a lot of this has to do with jealously and insecurity. The fact that it's almost NEVER directed towards me tells me a lot of it has to do with possessiveness over me. And I've been told he doesn't do things like whining and scratching on the windows unless I'm outside in his line of site (we work and live on a farm so often times I'm close to home, other times I do deliveries that can keep me on the road for up to 20 hours straight!) I think I understand where this behavior is coming from. The problem is I don't know how to deal with the aggression. Of course my boyfriends reaction is to kick him and my other dog out of the room for the night, but I understand negative reinforcement does not work. Thing is I don't know how to positively reinforce the situation. It's so random when he behaves aggressive and he's usually such a sweet and loving dog. My boyfriend thinks I shouldnt let him sleep in the bed and honestly I hope that doesn't have to be the case since I've grown very used to it. Also when he destroys stuff in the house it's always when no one is home and when I come back I have no way to handle it in a positive way. I don't have the money to hire a professional trainer. Although I don't have a lot of free time myself I have to work to feed us all. I want what is best for my dogs both I love them very much but I worry that at this point unless I'm able to spend my entire day watching him it will only get worse. Please help me with solutions to this new insane behavior! My boyfriend wants to crate him and I think it will only make him more anxious and have even more pent up energy. Ive been concidering a shock collar but how do I deal with the behavior behind my back?! Again I understand the psychology behind it all I just can't seem to figure out a fitting way to train him to stop especially one that permits me to leave him home alone.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'd crate him before going to a shock collar. I honestly would not use the collar at all. Done right many dogs love their crate, it's a safe place. If you can't or won't crate him dog proof one area, like the kitchen and keep him there when you aren't home. For now I think I would keep him off the bed and couch. This isn't forever. Trust me I love my dogs snuggling with me. But I think if he is made to get onto the floor when he growls it may help. I'm not a trainer, and haven't had to deal with aggression like that. It's just what I would try. He sounds like he is resource guarding, you and the bed/couch.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
IMO you really need to have a good trainer work with you. The right trainer, can work miracles in a case like yours.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts