Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jasmine is now 1 and a half, and while she has up to now had a few jerkish moments, I thought we had escaped teenagism.

Each morning before breakfast I let Jasmine out into the yard, she always plays outside while we eat breakfast, then I go out, she shows me where she pooped, I pick it up and give her a cookie, and we go inside (sometimes play tug for 5 mins) and I feed her her breakfast. Then I finish getting kids ready for school and family plus dog walks to school.

Anyway I went out this particular morning and she had found a plastic bottle (it has been pretty windy lately) I wasn't particularly concerned, she doesn't eat stuff like that, just throws it around. She didn't show me her poop, but I could see it anyway, and I picked it up, I had her cookie, but she hadn't come near me, so I hadn't given it to her. Then I called her and she totally ignored me, I went towards her showing her the cookie, she ran away. I realized she wasn't going to come, and I have a schedule to keep to, so I got her flirt pole and lured her into the house with it.

I was so frustrated, her recall has been 100% for the past 6 months. I guess I was just taking it for granted. She knew I was mad at her too, she was following me round the house, trying to lick my legs instead of eating her breakfast.

On the walk to school, she lunged at some pigeons, almost pulled me over, she has been a perfect loose leash walker for months (except in snow, we never managed to get that working) , I was trying to walk with 2 kids and a paddleball dog.

I was just so frustrated when I got home, that I gave her a bone and put her in her crate and called her doggie daycarer when I got to work and asked her to take her and tire her out.

I have spent a lot of time training her, I know if I saw this post from someone else I would tell them to start at the beginning like she was a puppy etc, but we have a routine, and now I can't let her out in the yard in the morning, (it wasn't essential because the walk to school is fairly long and that starts at 8 am).
I wish I could explain to her, that because she is being a jerk, she can't go leash-less in the yard again until I can trust her. I remember all the long line training we did as a puppy, its just a shame, I'm even wondering now if I can take her to the dog run.

She will always come if she sees i have the tug rope or flirt pole. She also knows the word "tug" and "chase" for each of them. "Tug" is my emergency recall, and I didn't use it in this case. But if I call her name and she comes, then sometimes I will then say "lets play tug" and produce a rope from my pocket. The chance of a game of tug has been her reward (she doesn't care about any food if there is a game to play) I found as long as we play tug after she comes about 1/3 of the times, that is enough to keep her coming.

I don't want to transition to a situation where she has to see the rope or pole to come, and there has to be a game 100% of the time.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I completely understand your frustration. We have a 1 year old mastiff mix, and going through something similar.

He now has so much energy, somehow got a hold of earplugs when there's a command he's not keen on obeying, and barking at some things that he never barked at before.

His recall has gotten shaky, and he's much bolder in running farther away from us than before (he will eventually come back, but on his own time) so we've stopped taking him to the off leash dog park for now.

The key thing to remember (to not lose your mind) is it is just a phase. By two to three years old, depending on the individual and breed, your dog will be mentally mature. Just keep on with the training.

This article helped me understand my dog and this adolescent phase when I wanted to tear my hair out. Surviving our dog’s adolescence - Smart Animal Training Systems...

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
there seem to be a lot of people with adolescence-related problems in the forum at the moment.
perhaps there should be a support group for owners of teenage dogs that act like hormone-driven fools. XD

·
Registered
9 Posts
My jack russell went through the exact same phase. It was so frustrating; I wanted to tear my hair out! We went to an obedience trainer and they suggested always carrying around high quality dog treats. When I say high quality, I mean actual meat ones that they can gobble up in 2 seconds. I got one of those little carrying pouches that attached to my belt.

Anyways, whenever I had that pouch on me, my dog knew that he would be rewarded for positive behavior. He would always stay by my side and listen to commands. If I didn't have the pouch on me, he was a crazy, disobedient teenager. I wore the pouch for about a year (yeah, that was a long year) until he outgrew the phase. Now things are good. Best of luck to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.