Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you write anything about this, I know how to remove this behavior, I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

My Jack Russell girl, Noelle is the a freaking master at escaping. e.g. I have a fence gate at my front porch that both goes down into a crack in the floor, and is hooked on the inside. She just squeezes behind it with no problem and runs out to the yard.
Now, the reason I haven't trained her with this yet is because I have no worries that she would run away, or run up to the road (which is a bit away). She is very well behaved otherwise and would never think about running away.
I also live out in the country with woods surrounding me, so we're in a pretty safe area.

And please don't think I just let her do this, I never let my dog repeat a behavior I don't want to see again. I just keep my front door shut until I get the time to work with her on this

I just thought it was a funny thing to share, she's usually very well behaved, but this is something I need to work on :1
Does your dog do anything that they probably shouldn't?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I just keep my front door shut until I get the time to work with her on this
How are you going to go buy groceries? Or are you letting your dog force you into using the back door?

Before you write anything about this, I know how to remove this behavior, I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
There are other safety reasons besides having a street close by to teach your dog not to run out. Perhaps you should start.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My three pound Morkie has figured out a way to get over the little gate I have to keep him in my bedroom. I was in the kitchen for a couple minutes one morning and the next thing I know, he's standing right next to me looking most pleased with himself. I thought the gate malfunctioned but when I checked it out, it was fine. I put him back and this time watched him. He flings his little fluffy bod at the corner and uses his back legs to push up. LOL I don't want him to get hurt, so I open the little escape hatch so he can come with me from now on. LOL

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My three pound Morkie has figured out a way to get over the little gate I have to keep him in my bedroom. I was in the kitchen for a couple minutes one morning and the next thing I know, he's standing right next to me looking most pleased with himself. I thought the gate malfunctioned but when I checked it out, it was fine. I put him back and this time watched him. He flings his little fluffy bod at the corner and uses his back legs to push up. LOL I don't want him to get hurt, so I open the little escape hatch so he can come with me from now on. LOL
Aww, that's adorable!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How are you going to go buy groceries? Or are you letting your dog force you into using the back door?
I use the front door, I just don't leave it open during the day
It's not like she bolts out as soon as I open it, but if I leave the door open she will try to sneak out

There are other safety reasons besides having a street close by to teach your dog not to run out. Perhaps you should start.
I know there are other reasons to worry, that's why I don't intentionally let her escape. It just happens sometimes if my family forgets to not leave to door open (which they are used to since I have a gate)
Plus she never walks off the yard, like I said, she's very well behaved
I could run around with her in a crowded park without a leash with absolutely no problem.
I don't though, since there's always a risk in doing so

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far my pup is doing well. But he is young. Plenty of time to figure things out I don't want him to figure out. :p Dogs can be a handful! :p
And figure them out he will!
but that's one of the fun things about owning dogs, they're constantly testing our limits and learning new things you don't want them to learn, but in the end it gives us the opportunity to really connect with our dogs, and appreciate the hard work that goes into raising a pup
I remember when Noelle was a puppy, what a devil she was, every time I didn't pay attention she would get into trouble

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Jersey's former owner had her as an outside dog, and I got her from him when she was 3. By that time she preferred to stay outside for as long as possible and since I had a fenced in yard I let her, and my other dog Shadow stay out in it while I was at work.

A few months after I got her I started finding her and Shadow out on my front porch (not fenced in, busy street) and the gate to the yard open. I fussed at my roommates and pleaded with them to close the gate if they went out of it, they told me they never went out the gate. Well a week or two after that, and more then one request that they make sure to latch the gate, they left for the day before I did and did not get home till after me. That day I came home to find the dogs on the porch, and the gate open, and realized that sweet Miss Jersey was the one opening the gate. I remembered how she used to sit so patiently by me, carefully watching as I opened the gate to take them for a walk. That was the last time she got out that way, I started locking the gate!

Jersey could also squeeze thought openings that defied logic and between her and Shadow the hole finder, I ended up having a yard that rivaled some sort of maximum security prison.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts