Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am interested in my dog's reaction to a home break-in that happened last week. We live in a quiet place and don't always lock our front door. Last week someone came into the house at night via the front door while we slept, walked around our lounge room with a torch, picked up (and stole) keys and a few items and then left through the front door. I heard someone moving around and half woke up. I glanced at the dog in the helf-light (he sleeps on my bed) to see if it was something to worry about and he was very relaxed, so I went back to sleep!

I am interested in his reaction. I am wondering if his lack of interest in the burglar was because he was using me as his 'cue' for how to react - and as I wasn't tense or worried he wasn't? If so, is this a good thing that shows he trusts me? Or is it a bad thing that your dog would ignore a burglar as he robs his house?! Maybe he's just lazy ;), or not interested in being a guard dog...

p.s The burglar was caught and it wasn't anyone we know, so the dog wasn't relaxed because he knew the person or anything...:)

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone!
supaflyskye I think he probably isn't guard dog material as he is generally pretty trusting of humans - and more scared of the cat! Amaryllis I'm glad your dog would have a similar reaction, not just mine.
Kyllobernese he'd be about 3 now we think. He's a Kelpie/dingo/who knows what else X.
Lucklein yeah I seriously wondered about his hearing. But I think it's OK because you can open a can of food two rooms away and suddenly he's sitting starting at you outside the kitchen! So I don't know really. He was a rescue dog so he is pretty happy with his life since I got him about 2 years ago, and relaxed in some ways. But the odd thing is he can be very reactive to noises and small movements in general. If I move my chair he leaps up, if dogs bark outside he's on high alert (but not barking). But no reaction to someone entering the house - lol.

Update: As a test we got a friend he'd never met to do the same thing as the robber and come in (but about 9pm) last night. Zephyr was dozing on my bed and I watched him. He had the same disinterest when the door went, and the most he did was glance with one eye in that direction. And then back at me just to see if I was getting up. His ears were tuning in a bit but he just didn't seem to care!

I guess it shows all dogs are different! But if I want a guard dog it looks like I'd better get a second dog... ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.