Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am interested in my dog's reaction to a home break-in that happened last week. We live in a quiet place and don't always lock our front door. Last week someone came into the house at night via the front door while we slept, walked around our lounge room with a torch, picked up (and stole) keys and a few items and then left through the front door. I heard someone moving around and half woke up. I glanced at the dog in the helf-light (he sleeps on my bed) to see if it was something to worry about and he was very relaxed, so I went back to sleep!

I am interested in his reaction. I am wondering if his lack of interest in the burglar was because he was using me as his 'cue' for how to react - and as I wasn't tense or worried he wasn't? If so, is this a good thing that shows he trusts me? Or is it a bad thing that your dog would ignore a burglar as he robs his house?! Maybe he's just lazy ;), or not interested in being a guard dog...

p.s The burglar was caught and it wasn't anyone we know, so the dog wasn't relaxed because he knew the person or anything...:)

·
Registered
455 Posts
You probably just don't have a guard dog on your hands. Some dogs are guard dogs naturally and some aren't. My dog is. Woe betide someone that tries to break into my house in the middle of the night, or perhaps not since at the moment in my current living situation(I just moved in) the dogs are still getting used to each other and my dog spends most of her time in my room. But woe betide anyone that tries to break into my room and rape me, and I'm 100% sure my roommates dog would take care of anyone trying to get into the house, he's quite a good guard dog as well, really too aggressive w/ it, he would bite first ask questions later if a big man he doesn't know simply walks in the door, while I'm quite sure my dog wouldn't bite unless someone was truly breaking and entering in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It sounds weird to me that there would be no reaction from your dog when someone walks into your house in the middle of the night. Even if he isn't reactive, you'd think he'd be curious and go check it out, that is if he heard what was going on. Maybe he didn't hear it? Does he ever react to noises, or alert you to strangers nearby?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My Shih Tzu x Maltese certainly could not be considered guard dogs but I know if someone even turned the knob on my outside door, they would all be off the bed and barking their heads off. How old is your dog?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
It sounds weird to me that there would be no reaction from your dog when someone walks into your house in the middle of the night. Even if he isn't reactive, you'd think he'd be curious and go check it out, that is if he heard what was going on. Maybe he didn't hear it? Does he ever react to noises, or alert you to strangers nearby?
Kabota would not care, trust me. He might bother to lift his head up, but probably not. Some dogs just aren't guard dog material.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone!
supaflyskye I think he probably isn't guard dog material as he is generally pretty trusting of humans - and more scared of the cat! Amaryllis I'm glad your dog would have a similar reaction, not just mine.
Kyllobernese he'd be about 3 now we think. He's a Kelpie/dingo/who knows what else X.
Lucklein yeah I seriously wondered about his hearing. But I think it's OK because you can open a can of food two rooms away and suddenly he's sitting starting at you outside the kitchen! So I don't know really. He was a rescue dog so he is pretty happy with his life since I got him about 2 years ago, and relaxed in some ways. But the odd thing is he can be very reactive to noises and small movements in general. If I move my chair he leaps up, if dogs bark outside he's on high alert (but not barking). But no reaction to someone entering the house - lol.

Update: As a test we got a friend he'd never met to do the same thing as the robber and come in (but about 9pm) last night. Zephyr was dozing on my bed and I watched him. He had the same disinterest when the door went, and the most he did was glance with one eye in that direction. And then back at me just to see if I was getting up. His ears were tuning in a bit but he just didn't seem to care!

I guess it shows all dogs are different! But if I want a guard dog it looks like I'd better get a second dog... ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I say good. Our house was broken into when my brother's GSD was 5 months old and ever since then she's been incredibly protective of the house. It was like a switch went off that day. We've been working with her, but in order for anyone to be recognized as family or friends they have to play ball with her in the backyard first. She associates tennis ball as friend. So although your dog won't be deterring robbers (which it doesn't sound like you need most of the time), I'll bet he's really great around all sorts of new people and easy to take in public.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Tucker, yeah he really is great with people and I have no worries about his temperament, so that's definitely a positive way to look at it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Some dogs are very protective and some dogs are not. One of our dogs will bark and howl of some one is coming into the house when we are all asleep. Our other dog doesn't care one bit about what is happening and can sleep through anything.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Kabota would not care, trust me. He might bother to lift his head up, but probably not. Some dogs just aren't guard dog material.
This perfectly describes Betsy too, I have been known to come downstairs in the night because I think I've heard something, Betsy will sometimes open one eye then go back to sleep. About a year ago we were woken by a noise outside at about 2am, we looked out & saw 3 police cars & cops everywhere, apparently there had been a robbery & the idiot had been seen running into our road (which goes nowhere, it's a cul-de-sac) Betsy obviously picked up that something was amiss, but sat shaking in her bed in our room, bless her :rolleyes:

·
Registered
571 Posts
My dogs won't bite but they would put on a show ans back a person away.
I learned this from experience.

My dogs put on very terrifying shows when needed.
But will bacj off if hubby or I say so

·
Registered
185 Posts
My dog wouldn't have noticed or reacted in that situation either. Just not a good guard dog. We've had someone accidentally come in when we slept in late (worker or some sort - wrong timing) and she didn't notice or care, lol. Typical for her. She thinks everyone is welcome.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'd honestly be worried if my dogs went after a burglar and god forbit the person had a gun or a knife. I'd almost rather my dogs are docile and let the person take my material objects and leave my dogs safe. However, I'd hope they'd defend me if someone attacked me directly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.