Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1 year old Husky x collie mix. He is a male, neutered and lives with 3 other dogs. He gets along with the dogs he lives with. I moved away from home for a brief amount of time, and took Keeno with me. The place I went, he met 8 different dogs, all different sizes, males and females, from a 6 month old puppy to a 15 year old adult pitbull. He got along with EVERY SINGLE one of them. Submitted to the more dominant, etc.

Then today I brought him to my aunts house. She has a white german shepherd dog, 9 months old, neutered male. They met when this dog was 8-9 weeks old, and were the best of friends. They hung out for about a week or 2, then I left. After that, my aunts dog "Puff" and Keeno never really got along again. They were civil, but Keeno scared him. Today though, was a whole different story.

When we got here, we let them interact through the fence, Keeno wagging his tail, acting friendly. Let them in a big fenced in yard together, they sniffed, they walked around, then Keeno got a little dominant, Puff submitted right away. Then Keeno actually went after Puff, hair on his back up, biting at his and attacking him. I grabbed him, put his leash on, and just walked him around, then we kept them apart. Keeno didn't hurt puff, didn't draw blood or anything, but he did go after him.

This is the first time he has ever done anything like this. I don't know why. He has gotten along with EVERY other dog he has met before. It is this ONE dog that he seems to have a hate for.

Does anyone have suggestions on what we can do to help them be civil? I don't care if they never play and run around together, I just want Keeno to not go after him.

I have tried walking them together, will try again tomorrow. We will be here for a few days, and if they don't get along, Keeno will have to be locked up in a small pen all day long every day. Fortunately we are sleeping outside the house, so they won't have to share a house, just a yard.

Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dogs aren't pack animals. There is no "more dominant" and "less dominant".

https://positively.com/dog-training/myths-truths/pack-theory-debunked/
https://apdt.com/pet-owners/choosing-a-trainer/dominance/

Also, not every dog is going to get along with every single dog. My dog has dogs that he gets along with, and dogs that he doesn't get along with. If they don't get along, slowly reintroduce them (with muzzles on and leashed).

There could've been something that happened that you missed or didn't see the signs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update!

I went to the city and grabbed a soft nylon muzzle. Brought Keeno with me to assure that it fit then yesterday we brought my aunts other dog, a great Pyrenees, same age as her white shepherd, puff, and introduced them without puff there. by the end of introducing them, Keeno and "Boo" were running around the yard playing with each other, muzzle off of Keeno.

Later in the evening we took all the dogs for a walk, Puff was scared of Keeno so this walk built confidence in him. Half the walk Keeno wore his muzzle, then we took it off. He was great, let Puff go up to him, sniff him, etc and didnt care. We got back to the yard and I put Keenos muzzle back on. Puff and him seemed to get along (i had keeno leashed the entire time), but then, just when it looked like Keeno wanted to play, he tried going after puff again, they went over to boo and tried playing with him.

I dont believe they will ever truely get along, but we are going to continue to try and get keeno to be civil around him. Today we will take them on another walk together., so when we leave tomorrow, we end on good terms.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Not every dog is going to like every dog it meets and it seems as you said they might never fully get along. For now I would keep any interactions with them controlled and on leash. Keeno may never like puff but I would try to start creating a positive assotation between keeno and puff. That way when Keeno see's puff he will hopefully associate him with good things (doesn't mean they will get along but will hopefully help keno act more "civil" with puff).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Update!

I went to the city and grabbed a soft nylon muzzle. Brought Keeno with me to assure that it fit then yesterday we brought my aunts other dog, a great Pyrenees, same age as her white shepherd, puff, and introduced them without puff there. by the end of introducing them, Keeno and "Boo" were running around the yard playing with each other, muzzle off of Keeno.

Later in the evening we took all the dogs for a walk, Puff was scared of Keeno so this walk built confidence in him. Half the walk Keeno wore his muzzle, then we took it off. He was great, let Puff go up to him, sniff him, etc and didnt care. We got back to the yard and I put Keenos muzzle back on. Puff and him seemed to get along (i had keeno leashed the entire time), but then, just when it looked like Keeno wanted to play, he tried going after puff again, they went over to boo and tried playing with him.

I dont believe they will ever truely get along, but we are going to continue to try and get keeno to be civil around him. Today we will take them on another walk together., so when we leave tomorrow, we end on good terms.
Oh, cool! Such good effort on your part. I like how you let him play, but with the muzzle. Yes, they may never truly get along, but here's hoping your work with them will make it more civil.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
soft muzzles are not meant to be worn for longer periods of time. since they can lead to overheating, the dog can't pant and show calming signs that are also there to appease other dogs.
so if you want to use it for more than a few minutes I'd advice getting a basket muzzle.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
What do you mean by dominant? If he became stiff or postured, that's actually inappropriate behavior and pretty much asking for a fight.

What do you mean by submissive? If you meant Puff was licking Keeno's face, that's behavior most dogs find annoying/rude and some will correct the licking dog.

You should interrupt both of those behaviors.

They both sound pretty nervous and insecure around each other, so keep working on building positive experiences and associations between the two of them in a controlled manner. The walk was a good idea- just take it slow and let the dogs go at their own pace, don't push them to interact!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts