Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our house has all hardwood floors. When we got our puppy three years ago this was not a problem. Starting last year he has become afraid of walking on the floors.

He sleeps on a blanket and sometimes I can't get him off it because he is afraid to step on the floor. He will lie on the blanket all day even when I put food on the floor.

Sometimes he slips on the floor. This may be why he is afraid of them or maybe he is slipping because he is trying hard to get off of them. I did get his nails cut back and that did not help.

He sniffs the floor a lot which makes me think there is some odor that is causing him to not want to walk on the floor. The room he stays in most of the day does not have anything underneath it such as basement or crawl space so I am not sure what he is smelling there. We have cleaned that floor with ammonia to get any smell out.

When another dog comes over the house, he has no problem walking around the house with the other dog. It's like he is to distracted to care.

Any suggestions on what to do? Any kind of spray that would fix the odor if that were the problem?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I would take him to the vet first thing. It may be that he's having trouble with his hind legs and the slippery hardwood floors are a problem for him now. I highly doubt it's a smell that's the problem. Dogs explore primarily through scent, so he's probably just sniffing at it because he is a dog.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Dogs will sometimes sniff the ground when they are apprehensive about something and are trying to get a better 'read' on it. I've seen this with dogs that are fearful of objects. As others have speculated, I really don't think that the smell in itself if the problem. Hard surfaces don't retain doors well.

I'm thinking that to him the floors have become 'that evil surface that hurts to walk on'. He may have some stiffness or minor issues with the joints that make walking on slippery hardwood just not worth the trouble for him. This can be confirmed/rules out at the vet.

How is the fur on the pads of his feet? Is it growing really long and impeding any grip his pads might have on the floor? If so, give it a trim and see if that helps. You might also try fitting him with doggy socks/shoes that have some sort of grip on the bottom (head up-- dogs usually have to be trained to accept these) or as others have mentioned... simply getting some runners and area rugs for the floor.

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Champ went through a period like this when he was two. We put runners and rugs down, kept his nails short, etc. You might also consider getting him pawks (grippy socks), but you woul d need to condition him to wear them happily/comfortably. As far as training goes, that video, if it is the kikopup one (on my cell so only the link is showing) is great to follow.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Are his nails being done regularly? When walking on the floors, you shouldn't be able to hear them-but it can take a bit of time to get there. It may be making him feel uncomfortable enough that he's more and more apprehensive every time? I would definitely check with a vet first. After that, to ANY object he gets nervous around, counter-conditioning is your friend.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Champ went through a period like this when he was two. We put runners and rugs down, kept his nails short, etc. You might also consider getting him pawks (grippy socks), but you woul d need to condition him to wear them happily/comfortably. As far as training goes, that video, if it is the kikopup one (on my cell so only the link is showing) is great to follow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, it's the kikopup video. :)

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Eh, my dogs nails are kept short and they click clack on hardwood. So I'm not sure if that's the best indication lol.

I would just put down some non-skid rugs and carpet runners. Some shoes or nonskid socks for the dog is another great idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried no skid socks but he did not like them. The video looks great but this dog never took to the clicker, at least not from us. Not sure it will work but I will give it a try.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
What about laying down some runners and area rugs? You don't have to spend a fortune on them.

About using a clicker, I'm guessing that your technique was probably a bit off when you tried it before. Kikopup has a great website with all kinds of videos showing how to use a clicker correctly: Dogmantics Dog Training | Progressive Reinforcement Dog Training Also, maybe you need a more tempting treat. :)

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
You don't have to use a clicker if you don't want to--although it does speed things up if you're using it correctly. Instead, you can use a consistently toned "yes!" in the same way you'd use a clicker (ie same timing).

As far as socks go, most dogs don't like them right off the bat. Like I said, you need to condition them. ie get socks out and feed treats for looking at them --> pick paw up + hold socks near them + treats --> put one sock on just a little bit + yummies the whole time, then take socks off and end the treat party --> increase the time on just a little bit and keep treats going --> once all the way on encourage a step and feed lots of treats --> increase steps in one sock + treats --> add another sock and repeat. By the time you get to the second sock, the process may be able to go faster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts