Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog, a pure bred fox terrier, has been diagnosed as possible anemic. He was just at the vet Monday and had a full blood count done. He hasn't really eaten for a while, at least not properly, and he's a voracious eater. He's usually spunky and full of life and last night he wanted me to play with him in the worst way in days. He was super excited for food last night for the first time in a number of days and he had a huge (and I mean huge) dinner. This morning, though, he's back to not wanting to eat again. Could he still be full from dinner do you think, or do you think there's some other underlying issue that I should still be concerned about that I should mention to his vet once the results come back? He's my whole world and hasn't even lived half his life out yet.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
My dog, a pure bred fox terrier, has been diagnosed as possible anemic. He was just at the vet Monday and had a full blood count done. He hasn't really eaten for a while, at least not properly, and he's a voracious eater. He's usually spunky and full of life and last night he wanted me to play with him in the worst way in days. He was super excited for food last night for the first time in a number of days and he had a huge (and I mean huge) dinner. This morning, though, he's back to not wanting to eat again. Could he still be full from dinner do you think, or do you think there's some other underlying issue that I should still be concerned about that I should mention to his vet once the results come back? He's my whole world and hasn't even lived half his life out yet.
I assume he's being treated? It's not unusual for dogs to go for a few days without eating when they aren't feeling well. Missing a meal here and there won't hurt him. As long as he's drinking water and defecating, I'd go par for the course.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Since he had not been eating right it may be that eating so much food at once gave him a belly ache. I'd wait out today, so long as he doesn't get worse or develop any other type of symptom and see what tomorrow brings. If he's still not eating tomorrow morning then call your vet and see what they have to say.

When he's back to eating try to not feed him a massive meal at once, instead feed him either normal sized meals at his regular times, or feed him smaller meals a few times a day, it'll be easier on his tummy.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Is he not eating anything, or is he super picky, and will eat special treats only? If he will eat anything, its not as big a problem, as long as he continues to drink water, and pees & poops. If he is refusing everything, time for a trip to the Vet, again. There are appetite stimulants the Vet can prescribe, if necessary. You also have to watch for de-hydration, if he is not drinking, can not let him get de-hydrated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts