Dog Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is an 8 year old silky terrier..
He has never had medical issues in the past.
Several days ago we noticed that he had trouble walking with his back legs, kind of like kicking them forward yet not able to keep weight on them or stay balanced.
We decided to take him to the vet and he concluded that it may have been some type of poisoning that we had in our backyard but did not completely rule out meningitis, tumor, or pinched nerve.

To our dog's dismay, and ours, we had to leave him at the vet for 2 days. His bloodwork was excellent, they said. Temperature is fine.
They gave him 2 dosages of Robaxin within the 48 hours of his stay there. In addition, they gave him 2 dosages of Potassium Bromide (they referred to this as the "loading stage").. We picked him up yesterday afternoon.

Upon our arrival, and our drive home, he seemed like his usual self: alert, breathing OK, walking gingerly but much better than before.
However, once we got home, he seemed to deteriote....he was very lethargic (and still is), doesn't want to eat his regular food.

We took him back to the vet today since he got worse ever since we brought him home... He is having difficulty keeping his weight up, has been panting ever since he got home yesterday like a whine (though we believe this may be due to the anxiety he felt from being seperated from us for 48 hours), and he is bobbing his head back and forth like that of a human being suffering from parkinson's... Do you think his behavior is a result of the medication they gave him or something else?

thank you in advance for any responses

·
Registered
811 Posts
Poor little guy.

What was the vet's diagnosis today? Did you discuss all the symptoms that he is displaying? The whining sounds like anxiety, but the rest sounds like medical issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vet said yesterday that the symptoms he is showing may in fact be related to all of the meds they gave him, but still urged us to visit the neurologist.

Haven't gone to the vet today (doesn't work on Sundays) but I think I will take him somewhere regardless.

The good news (I think?) is that he defecated twice today as well as throw up twice. (All without blood).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would take the vets advice and see the neurologist if you can. One of my friends dogs had neurological problems, and whenever he got excited (which was a lot) he had trouble controlling his movements, and would become very stiff, and his walking would be very jerky. This sounds a bit similar to what your dog is displaying, so I think it could be worth the visit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Made the appointment for the neurologist for tomorrow. What's really boggling us is that this basically happened over night :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My dog passed away sunday night in my mother's arms...
We are completely devastated. All of this happened unexpectedly and so suddenly.
My family and I have cried so so so so much.. This hurts so much.
He was such an awesome friend, companion, and family member.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
oh dear may he rest in peace with no suffering! im so sorry to hear it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts