Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2.5 yr old Male Labrador Retriever, who's been having this problem since some time. On the underside of his left paw, between the digits he's having a lot of redness, and I'm guessing pain, because he has been limping for quite some time now. I have been to a no. of vets with him, and have followed all their suggestions to the 'T' but to no avail. The floor of our house is made of marble, which we were told, initially, may be the cause. So we put him out in the compound for a week, but no change. Then, someone said it may be due to the liquid sanitizer we use to clean the floor, so we made some changes, even stopped using it, but the results were still the same. He's a bit overweight, may be weighs around 60 to 65 kilos. Weight was also apparently said to be a factor so we cut down on processed dog food and are giving him just boiled veggies, pulses and rice mixed together along with buttermilk coz its pretty hot out here in India. No change coz of the food too. Recently, our vet said its a fungal infection thats been persistent for some time, so he prescribed some antibiotics (Ciprofloxacin) and Cetrizine for 10 days. We are into the 9th day but I see no progress whatsoever. His limp has remained the same/worsened, and I'm not able to take the pain he's going through. Please help if your dog too has had/having the same problem.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Recently, our vet said its a fungal infection thats been persistent for some time, so he prescribed some antibiotics (Ciprofloxacin) and Cetrizine for 10 days
If it's a fungal infection, I don't know why antibiotics were prescribed.

Is he licking his feet a lot?

It is possible that he has food allergies if he is (and that's what's causing the reddness).

Has he been tested for Lyme disease? That could account for the limping. Has he had a sedated exam to make sure there is nothing stuck in the foot? X-rays of the foot/leg?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It is possible that he has food allergies if he is (and that's what's causing the reddness).

Has he been tested for Lyme disease? That could account for the limping. Has he had a sedated exam to make sure there is nothing stuck in the foot? X-rays of the foot/leg?
Yeah actually he does lick his foot a lot, which I thought was due to the infection there. As a matter of fact, some time back, he had some wounds in those very areas but we weren't able to ascertain as to why they had come up. Since then, the wounds have died down but the redness has persisted. I also found the area of redness to be a bit wet. Could this be due to the infection or is it something else? I had actually asked the vet if anti-fungal dusting powders can be used on his foot coz they keep the foot dry n can act as good anti-fungal agents but he prescribed antibiotics instead. Do you think I should take it up with him once more?
Also, we've changed his diet regularly, to try n keep him interested in the feed we're giving him, and so how far it could be due to the food i dunno. Coz like I mentioned before, we have stopped giving him the processed pellets and are giving him home cooked food.
Thanks for the tip on Lyme disease. I'll be sure to look it up, but he hasn't till date had a sedated exam, so I'll see if it can be done.

·
Banned
795 Posts

Yeah I was thinking that too about the antibiotics! And antibiotics can cause yeast infection in dogs paws and that is the last thing the OP dog need!

·
Banned
795 Posts
Yeah actually he does lick his foot a lot, which I thought was due to the infection there. As a matter of fact, some time back, he had some wounds in those very areas but we weren't able to ascertain as to why they had come up. Since then, the wounds have died down but the redness has persisted. I also found the area of redness to be a bit wet. Could this be due to the infection or is it something else? I had actually asked the vet if anti-fungal dusting powders can be used on his foot coz they keep the foot dry n can act as good anti-fungal agents but he prescribed antibiotics instead. Do you think I should take it up with him once more?
Also, we've changed his diet regularly, to try n keep him interested in the feed we're giving him, and so how far it could be due to the food i dunno. Coz like I mentioned before, we have stopped giving him the processed pellets and are giving him home cooked food.
Thanks for the tip on Lyme disease. I'll be sure to look it up, but he hasn't till date had a sedated exam, so I'll see if it can be done.
Would it help to try and put a stock on your dog's paw so he can't keep licking it? I am thinking if you keep the paw dry for a few days it might help it heal faster. If your vet can't help you , it may be time to get try another vet.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
65 kilos? That is 143 pound labrador? Wow, that is seriously overweight and with skin issues that are not resolving with treatments.

THYROID CHECK is in order. Ask your vet to send a blood sample to a lab for a full thyroid panel. This should at least be ruled out, if it is not a large part of your problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Both ours have licky feet. Rens feet got sore, so the vet gave us some cream to put on to them, I don't think it was antibiotics though like the other FMs have said, I think it was fungal cream.

Maybe your vet thought it was infected, like with pus, maybe that's why he gave you antibiotics.

·
Registered
472 Posts
65 kilos? That is 143 pound labrador? Wow, that is seriously overweight and with skin issues that are not resolving with treatments.

THYROID CHECK is in order. Ask your vet to send a blood sample to a lab for a full thyroid panel. This should at least be ruled out, if it is not a large part of your problem.

my mastiff is not 143lbs!

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I think there is a good chance your dog has food allergies and possibly secondarily affected by yeast or bacterial infections.

Does he ever have ear infections?

What are you feeding? What have you feed over his lifetime?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think there is a good chance your dog has food allergies and possibly secondarily affected by yeast or bacterial infections.

Does he ever have ear infections?

What are you feeding? What have you feed over his lifetime?
Uh, no he does not have any ear infections right now, but he had one during his 1st year, that must have lasted for about a week or 10 days.

Over his lifetime, his feed has been varied. We started off with Pedigree, then switched to Max, then went in for Royal Canine, and finally clicked with home cooked food. In this, we first gave him a boiled egg, rice and yoghurt/curd (Mainly during the summer months, to cool him off), and after trying some variations, we got rid of the egg, and are currently feeding him boiled veggies, pulses and rice, mixed well, along with buttermilk/curd and rice, coz its summer here and temps go way above the 42 deg. Celsius mark.

Do you really think it could be food allergies? Any idea what foods cause these allergies coz I'm unaware of those that do... Plz help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would it help to try and put a stock on your dog's paw so he can't keep licking it? I am thinking if you keep the paw dry for a few days it might help it heal faster. If your vet can't help you , it may be time to get try another vet.
We thought of that initially, but we realized that if the area is moist, then putting a stock on it would only make matters worse coz it would further add to the moisture in the affected area, thereby becoming more conducive for infections to set in. Compounding to that is the fact that my dog is a bit obstinate and stubborn, so if I do put a stock on his paws, the next minute i'd see him ripping it off. But surely I'll give it a try.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Do you really think it could be food allergies? Any idea what foods cause these allergies coz I'm unaware of those that do... Plz help.

Chicken and beef based things are the main culprits usually-- and those foods you mentioned are probably chock full of them.

Are you able to get different foods where you live? If you got something that was venison based, that may help. You need to think of the protein source that he's never had before.

Some of the main signs of food allergies are chronic ear infections, licking legs and feet raw, biting his butt constantly or chronic loose stools. Any combo points towards potential food allergy.

I fully believe there is something secondarily going on now (could be bacterial infection, could be yeast) but I think food allergy may be your primary issue. You'll have to treat the secondary issues first and then consider the food switch. If you do a food switch though, you need to be strict. You can only food that food for 4-6 weeks. No table scraps, nothing else besides the food.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts