Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! A little over two weeks ago we adopted a 5 month old lab beagle mix named Harley. He learned sit stay look at me leave it alone and come in just 4 days but he has crazy mood swings! One minute we will be fine sitting on the couch i wont even be touching him and he attacks me, not in a friendly puppy biting way but hard biting where i have had to pry his jaw off of me hes growling. I have tried giving him a chew toy telling him no went to a training class and nothing is helping im just at my whits end i have bruises all over my arms hands and legs cuts and puncture wounds from him. Today i had to pry him off of me and run into another room as he growled and barked and scratched at the door trying to get in. I have raised many dogs including 3 rotwilers 2 golden retrievers and a pit bull and i have never experienced anything like this. I really don't want to give up on him we are his 3rd home already and he is very good most of the time but i fear those moments when he becomes uncontrollable and violent. He gets plenty of exercise we take him on 3walks a day play fetch and tug of war. I just don't know what to do I could really use your advise!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did take him to the vet a week ago and was checked out my vet said he looked fine. But he didn't do much but check his temp and look him over.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Based on the severity of the situation, the best advice we can all give you is to seek professional help from both a vet and a behaviorist. Here is a list of resources about how to locate the latter:

http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/finding-trainer-behavior-consultant-behaviorist-113946/

You really need someone with a lot of experience, education, and expertise to properly evaluate your dog and determine what can and should be done. I'm concerned about the level and suddenness of the aggression your dog is displaying. This is clearly a dog that should not be returned to the shelter to be adopted by an inexperienced, new owner with kids.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Blood work is very important to check to see if something is not right. I would go to a different vet who will actually do a thorough and complete exam.

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
A temperature check would not pick up epilepsy, either, which could definitely be the problem here. He needs a really thorough workup, poor guy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts