Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I've had my 11 month old kelpie cross for two weeks now and a couple of days after getting him I noticed an area on his hind leg that was bald and itchy, after asking the previous owner about it he suggested it was either fleas or mites from her wombats, she sent me treatment which I used about a week ago and no improvement, if anything the area had grown. I'm also suspicious that he is developing them elsewhere.
I'm concerned regarding what it is. I've included pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
If they suggested fleas or mites, it might be an allergic reaction to fleas/mites.
A LOT of dogs are allergic to fleas & mites, so an infection also develops.

Your vet will be able to prescribe something to clear it up before it gets really bad and puts your dog through even more discomfort. If it's an infection, trying to treat it at home might be unsuccessful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they suggested fleas or mites, it might be an allergic reaction to fleas/mites.
A LOT of dogs are allergic to fleas & mites, so an infection also develops.

Your vet will be able to prescribe something to clear it up before it gets really bad and puts your dog through even more discomfort. If it's an infection, trying to treat it at home might be unsuccessful.

Thanks a lot for your advice. I'll do that.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Dogs can be allergic to SOOOOO many things I've discovered! Nylon collars, dryer sheets, the perfume in candles.... it's crazy.

It's my opinion to get the dog skin tested asap, even though it's pricey. I wasted almost 2 years not knowing what my dog was allergic to, because I didn't know about the skin testing and allergies (had a lot of crappy vets that I trusted, unfortunately) This is going to save you time and money in the long run and keep the dog from prolonged irritation :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts