Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
1,641 Posts
Hi. Welcome to the forum.

I totally understand the problem about vet fees and not having the money, having just forked out north of £800 for dental treatment and x-Ray’s for my Chihuahua a few weeks ago. But that dog does need veterinary treatment as a matter of urgency, especially as it’s been growing more or less continuously for 2 months and is close to the dog’s spine.

There is no other option or advice that we could responsibly give you, unfortunately. Nothing we could say, nothing we could advise you to try. And the longer you leave it, the bigger it gets, the more dangerous it will be for your dog (if it hits a nerve or the spine) and the more expensive its removal will be for you.

I understand you want to save your son from the trauma of losing another family pet, but really you have to do what’s best for the dog in this case, and guide your son through the grief, again, if it comes to that.

·
Administrator
1,641 Posts
I wish I hadn't opened this thread, because things like this upset me, but I did. So I am compelled to say -- it seems you and your son can't afford to properly care for dogs. It's not just a matter of something like this tumor, but any dog in New Orleans needs to be on heartworm preventative from a puppy. I hope you find a way to handle the tumor, but you also need to think long and hard about either a plan to handle vet bills for your pets or consider whether it's better to do without and avoid misery for both you and the dogs.
TBF, I don’t have a spare £2000 lying around either, nor a recently passed distant relative who’s left me a windfall in their will. Life happens, dogs get sick just when we can least afford it. Twice this year I’ve been on the phone to the emergency vets about Milly. Luckily both times was a telephone appointment advice was Watch and Wait, and she didn’t actually need to be seen, so the fee was £25.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts