Dog Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I'm new to the forum my name is Josh. My dog Leo about 2 months ago got a growth on his back and it continues to grow and is close to his spine now. I would like to take him to the vet but I honestly don't have the funds right now. From what I seen online it could be a cancerous or non cancerous tumor. Surgeries usually cost $2500 for this which I don't have right now. I am in the New Orleans area does anyone know where I could take him or what to do in this situation.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you I appreciate it. He just turned 6 and his mom died at the same age from heart worms. Really don't want my son to lose him too. He will be devastated.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wish I hadn't opened this thread, because things like this upset me, but I did. So I am compelled to say -- it seems you and your son can't afford to properly care for dogs. It's not just a matter of something like this tumor, but any dog in New Orleans needs to be on heartworm preventative from a puppy. I hope you find a way to handle the tumor, but you also need to think long and hard about either a plan to handle vet bills for your pets or consider whether it's better to do without and avoid misery for both you and the dogs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I hadn't opened this thread, because things like this upset me, but I did. So I am compelled to say -- it seems you and your son can't afford to properly care for dogs. It's not just a matter of something like this tumor, but any dog in New Orleans needs to be on heartworm preventative from a puppy. I hope you find a way to handle the tumor, but you also need to think long and hard about either a plan to handle vet bills for your pets or consider whether it's better to do without and avoid misery for both you and the dogs.
My dog was on a preventative and still got heart worms. Also I got an injury at work and workman's comp has not paid me in a year, and I am currently taking them to court. But thank you for being not helpful at all. Not looking for a preacher just some ideas on where I could go to help my dog. Not everybody's life is easy and goes according to plan.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Going to plan or not, that dog needs immediate veterinary attention!

Sometimes vets or a rescue organization will step up and pay/help pay for a needed operation, or there may be other organizations that could help. But it needs to be figured out ASAP (as I'm sure you know!)!

I hope your dog is okay!

·
Administrator
1,808 Posts
Hi. Welcome to the forum.

I totally understand the problem about vet fees and not having the money, having just forked out north of £800 for dental treatment and x-Ray’s for my Chihuahua a few weeks ago. But that dog does need veterinary treatment as a matter of urgency, especially as it’s been growing more or less continuously for 2 months and is close to the dog’s spine.

There is no other option or advice that we could responsibly give you, unfortunately. Nothing we could say, nothing we could advise you to try. And the longer you leave it, the bigger it gets, the more dangerous it will be for your dog (if it hits a nerve or the spine) and the more expensive its removal will be for you.

I understand you want to save your son from the trauma of losing another family pet, but really you have to do what’s best for the dog in this case, and guide your son through the grief, again, if it comes to that.

·
Administrator
1,808 Posts
TBF, I don’t have a spare £2000 lying around either, nor a recently passed distant relative who’s left me a windfall in their will. Life happens, dogs get sick just when we can least afford it. Twice this year I’ve been on the phone to the emergency vets about Milly. Luckily both times was a telephone appointment advice was Watch and Wait, and she didn’t actually need to be seen, so the fee was £25.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to live in small town where our vets will allow payments.
New Orleans is huge area, with a good number of vets.

?There still might be a vet or two that will allow you to get onto some kind of payment plan, and to find that out, it might mean calling every single vet listed and if you do find one, it could also mean a long drive to get to that vet.

Also, there are sometimes, vets who have customers who donate to a 'needy' fund, and that fund is used to help those in need to get help for their dogs. My vet has such a slush fund, and she decides who get help and how much of the fund they get to use, plus she doesn't charge for her labor...just for supplies used and 'stay over' time, if the pet needs to stay at the clinic for a few days or more.

Talk to some vets and tell them how much money you have at this point in time to put down on a bill...and how much you can pay monthly.
If you are waiting on workman's comp...has there been a time set yet for a determination, and does your lawyer think the outcome will be a positive one?

IF you get a vet that will work with you....do NOT miss a payment and pay off the whole bill no matter what happens with the dog. Hopefully, it's a non cancerous tumor, but if not and the dog has to be put to sleep...that is not 'permission' to just skip out on the bill...because if you ever get another dog, and you did what you promised as far as paying the bill, you now have a vet who will trust you and work with you and that's worth a fortune now days.

But yeah, get on the phone and start calling vets, and animal organizations and see if anyone will take payments or offer to donate a little bit towards the cause.

And if you still have any 'luxuries' you don't need...such as cable/dish tv channels or digital subscriptions like Spotfy, Hulu, Netflix..etc...get rid of them until you get your workman's comp. This free up some funds to help you get by.

I went through the workman's comp and disability stuff, when I was hurt and ended up in a wheelchair for 4 months, and came out of the wheelchair unable to go back to work. About 2 weeks after I was in the wheelchair...(the first week I was drugged to the gills with painkillers and couldn't think about such things)...I cancelled my DISH subscription, my Audible book subscription and dropped HULU. This saved me about $140 a month.

It took me about a year to collect on my Workman's comp and almost 2 years to get accepted onto Disability...even though I had MRI's and a 2 inch medical file showing my injuries.
There were times I ate ramen noodles quite often in order to save money to make a vet payment. I had some people who offered to help me too, with a large vet bill, it would have taken me a few years to pay it off, if not for that help.

If you have family or friends who would normally get you and or you son birthday gifts or anything like that, ask instead for help with a bill payment. If you son is older than age 6, explain that helping the dog is more important than getting him some $30.00 toy, and instead treat him to a Burger King meal instead, or some other inexpensive birthday gift and put most of the money towards your dog.

I would rather get a $5 contribution to my vet bill from a family member, than a $20.00 birthday gift from them in like a bottle of perfume, or a birthday cake, et...

I absolutely know there are some people who will not give up their t.v. shows or their computer, or cellphone subscriptions in order to put $100s of dollars on a vet bill.

But I always felt that when I took in a dog, that was my choice, not the dog's choice to be with me...and I must sacrifice what ever I can in order to care for that dog. I can live without all my t.v. and computer shows, but my dog might not live if medical treatment can't be had on a timely basis.

I hope you can get that tumor taken care of for your dog, and that it's not a cancerous one. But as someone hear said, at least find the means to have it diagnosed and then go from there.

Stormy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bless your soul. I've just never seen anything like that, Tshall. I hope everything works out for you all. I hope you have the money to put your sweet dog down, if it comes to that. I hope it doesn't but it's something we all need to be prepared for given the nature of things.

But I just gotta say, there's so many dogs that need homes. If in the future you can't afford the vet bills, maybe you could consider fostering or raising a service pup. Something where someone else is paying the bills. If you have the heart to be able to do that sort of thing--where you know you have to say goodbye sooner rather than later, but for a happy reason--what a great thing that is! You could make such a difference for a dog and the person who will one day love that pup.

ETA: ooh, and maybe give that dog an extra blanket, if you can.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Try Batt Vet at 3439 Metairie road, Metairie, 504-2284692 - I believe they do some charity work. Also try Southern Animal Foundation, 1823 Magazine St, New Orleans, LA 70130, (504) 671-8235, also try the SPCA 1700 Mardi Gras Blvd, New Orleans, LA 70114, (504) 368-5191. TO be blunt...call every vet in New Orleans and surrounding area (GOOGLE THEM). The condition of this dog is unacceptable.

·
Super Moderator
3,951 Posts
Please also contact the local shelters and humane societies and ask if they have any assistance programs. I live in Southern California. I am a volunteer for a local "shelter intervention" group. Typically, what happens is that a pet owner will contact the shelter for help, and then the shelter makes a referral to our organization. In a case like yours, we would direct you to a low-cost vet who offers us a special rate because we are a charity. Then we raise funds among members of our community to help pay for the vet care.

Hopefully, you will find a similar organization in Louisiana that can assist you and your dog.

·
Registered
Coco, 1, Beagle
43 Posts
I am sorry for your dog’s condition. I understand you cannot afford surgery, at least you should get a diagnosis. Also, I agree with an earlier poster, it is unlikely to be cancer since it is growing so fast.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Hello all I'm new to the forum my name is Josh. My dog Leo about 2 months ago got a growth on his back and it continues to grow and is close to his spine now. I would like to take him to the vet but I honestly don't have the funds right now. From what I seen online it could be a cancerous or non cancerous tumor. Surgeries usually cost $2500 for this which I don't have right now. I am in the New Orleans area does anyone know where I could take him or what to do in this situation.
HOLY HELL.... Dude, FFS, take the dog to a vet!

Even if you can't pay for it, at least your dog deserves to be cared for. Leave him at the vet if you must (the vet may be able to place him). Take a loan, ask people for help, do a "fund me" thing.... Isn't that what Americans do when they need medical help?

For CHRIST'S sake, you can't just let the dog die because you're short on cash! What kind of a truck do you have? I bet selling it would pay for this!

Uhhhggggghhh. Whatever happens to this dog, do NOT take a new one! If you can't afford to care for it then your responsibility is to NOT put another dog in that situation!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts