Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 year old shih Tzu named Barry, and since he was 1 (or maybe under that?) I've always shared my fruit with him, I figured that because it was good for me it was also good for him, as he grew older, (as in, 7 months old) me and my mam started to Google what food he can and can not eat, he's a family dog so I guess we just wanted to make sure everyone knew about his health. It was only when he was about 1 when I read that grapes were toxic for dogs, I freaked out because by then, I'd already given him lots of grapes. (I've stopped giving them to him after that just in case) But the thing is, nothing has ever happened to him, I've read online that if a dog ingests grapes you have to call the vet for emergency immediately, but my dog is 2 now and everytime we go to the vet they say he's fine, is it a breed thing? Or can some dogs avoid being poisoned? I'm very curious because shih Tzu's are small dogs, so wouldn't that make them more vulnerable? I'd just like to know.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,885 Posts
Yikes.

.

Who knows?... maybe he never got enuf at one time.
Maybe he had other food in his stomach, which slowed digestion / absorption.

Yes, Shihs are small & very vulnerable to toxins. U've been lucky! // Other toxins include raisins [dried grapes], onions [anemia], XYLITOL [catastrophic blood-glucose collapse], chocolate [the darker it is, the more-toxic], & Macadamia nuts.
In the USA, the most-common poisoning route for Xylitol is Tic-tacs, in their cute little crushable plastic boxes. It's also in toothpaste, lip-balm, baked goods, candy, salad dressing, sodas...


- terry

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Yeah I've wondered about this too, my friend used to give her poodle frozen grapes all the time and she lived until she was 18. My friend didn't know at the time that they were considered toxic but she doesn't feed grapes to her dogs anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
Whilst i dont feed my dogs fruit. They will eat any fruit they can reach on trees. Including the grapes! Prevented by putting empty coke bottles over them-
So grapes develop inside the bottle safe from dogs bats, possums. I saw idea on pinterest. Currently they are enjoying my passion fruits. Which i hope are safe.As not mentioned as harmfull in anything ive read. Are these harmful? I have large breeds which are more robust they smaller breeds which helps in all toxins including arachnid bites and snakes thankfully.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I had a bichon a while back, and I gave him grapes a few times not knowing. A couple years later, he almost died from kidney problems. It was controlled by meds and he lived until 12. I can’t help but wonder if the grapes had something to do with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Yikes.

.

Who knows?... maybe he never got enuf at one time.
Maybe he had other food in his stomach, which slowed digestion / absorption.

Yes, Shihs are small & very vulnerable to toxins. U've been lucky! // Other toxins include raisins [dried grapes], onions [anemia], XYLITOL [catastrophic blood-glucose collapse], chocolate [the darker it is, the more-toxic], & Macadamia nuts.
In the USA, the most-common poisoning route for Xylitol is Tic-tacs, in their cute little crushable plastic boxes. It's also in toothpaste, lip-balm, baked goods, candy, salad dressing, sodas...


We at home, THE ONLY restriction we for my dog shitzu/bit Jon is chicken bones.
He eats EVERYTHING we eat including chocolate Oreo cookies, dark hershies chocolate and all kind of grapes (he will eat as many grapes as he wants until he is satisfied), even four table spoons of beer or wine. He is 3 and as playful as when he was 6 months.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top