Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 1/2 year old springer spaniel has recently (in the last few weeks) developed behavioural problems whenever there is a storm - or at least it is windy - at night. He never used to mind noisy weather but now he is agitated and excited. He won't settle anywhere, scratching, barking, digging indoors. We even tried having him in our bedroom to calm him down because he seems frightening (without petting him and therefore affirming his fear) but that is even worse with him trying to sit on our heads and restless all night. In the last few weeks we have lost at least 5 nights sleep (tonight yet again I have had NO sleep) and we have two small children so we are tired enough as it is. We bought a phermone collar from the vet which was useless and then Calmex tablets which have no effect either. We brought his puppy cage back into the house and made a dark den but he doesn't want to go in that even though we have been giving him treats in there and trying to make it his safe haven. We are now at our wits end because this is a non-sustainable situation. If we do just shut him in a room he scratches the hell out of the door manically until we let him out and plus it wakes the children. Can anyone suggest what we can do becasue right now our beautiful, friendly pet is causing us no end of pain. He is fine during the day and doesn't seem to mind being in all sorts of bad weather if I take him for a walk. It seems to be sound of the wind and rain on the house and perhaps he is also picking up on air pressure or ions or something I don't know what. All suggestions welcome.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Many years ago, my family had a wonderful springer spaniel mix who also suffered panic attacks during storms. In her later years, just a few raindrops would set off her anxiety. Unfortunately, we never found a solution. :(

That was many years ago, and since then, a new product called a "ThunderShirt" has been developed. The idea is that this garment applies a gentle, calming pressure to the dog's body. I have no firsthand experience using it, but I wonder if it would be worth a try.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts