Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm at a total loss of what to do here. I adopted a 6 year old Chi mix a little over a year ago. He's been a total lovebug towards me, but is a little wary of new people. He was very badly abused before I adopted him, and that's evident in his behavior, but overall he's a really well behaved, sweet pup. A few weeks ago, he started growling and barking teeth anytime I go near him. Not with other people, just me. He's still totally obsessed with my parents. I ruled out any medical issues with my vet, he's in perfect health. He'll jump up on the couch with me and lay on my lap, but if I touch him, all bets are off. Does anyone have any advice on what this could be? I'm worried because it's completely out of his behavior.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you tried spending more one on one time with the dog? Maybe walking the dog just you and him and a few treats would recreate the good bond

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should've worded this a little differently. I don't live with my parents, we just go on weekend trips with them sometimes and he does see them quite often. I have a roommate and he does this with her as well

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We all tip toe around him because he startles very easily, and lately we've been extra careful about it. I've been racking my brain trying to think what it could be

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am far from an expert in these matters, but once upon a time, we rescued a Chi who had been kept in a cage all his life and only used for breeding. He was a mess. Cute as could be, but just a complete mess. Hid under the bed, refused to eat, could not be housebroken, cowered and shook if anyone went anywhere near him, oh...I can't remember it all. And just when you thought you had one behavior dealt with, something else would pop up. It was very sad, but eventually we took him back to the rescue people, because we had other dogs and he was just too much for us. I hope you can resolve your pup's problems, but please don't blame yourself if you just can't....sometimes they've just been treated too badly, and they can't ever become truly "normal." On the other hand, if you want to put in the time and can get some support and help, then go for it. Someone has to help these poor dogs, and it is never an easy decision what to do or how to handle them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had him for over a year now, I would never bring him back. I've worked through so much with him, and this is just a speed bump. Hopefully someone out there has dealt with this :( I'm looking into a behavioralist but I can't seem to find one I'm really impressed with, and I really don't think they'd tell me anything I don't know. He's terrified of a lot but before, I was his safe haven. Now he wants nothing to do with me and if I even try to pet him, he freaks out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.