Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My minature poodle, Pooh, is 16 years old and weighs 23 pounds. It started with a bad ear infection. I took him to the doctor. He washed his ears out and gave him meds. I couldn't get the meds down him so I went back the next day.
This time he did a complete blood panel. He treated his ears and said that he has pancretitis. He gave him injections that were supposed to last two weeks. He seemed to be a little better. He was so lethargic, wouldn't eat very much, just wanted to sleep all the time. Gave me that "pls help me" look.

I took him back for the two week follow up. The vet then said he has Cushings disease. I didn't know much about this until I looked it up on the computer. He is now eating a little bit and scratching and biting his hair off. He also had a short seizure two days ago and I think he had another one tonight. On the two week follow up he still had the ear infection and he washed his ear out again. He wants to do another test (I've already spent over $500). That's OK. I'd pay a million if I could have him back and well again. The vet said the test would be $180 to find out for sure if it's Cushings. After researching it, I know that's what he has and then there would be some kind of treatment that I would have to him every two weeks or a month. I have had Pooh and Samantha (another poodle, 10 lbs. who is 18 years old).

I live only with them and love them more than life itself. I don't see my family much and have no friends here.

The problem is, I have limited income, but have taken care of these children as anyone ever could. I read that when they have Cushings, the odds are that he also has Cancer, or is very susceptible to getting it. If he can't ever be well ... I don't want him sick and in any kind of pain (I'm afraid at his age (16 yrs) he may not be able to get over this. I was thinking that perhaps I will just give him the things he wants to eat, sit with him and do everything I can to make him comfortable.and loved and when he gets really bad, I'll let him go. The thought of letting him go just literally makes me ill.

Can someone please help me and give me their opinion as to what I should do?

I just found this forum and it seems like the best one I've found. Sorry to make this so long, but I didn't know any short way to tell you.

Martha

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
My minature poodle, Pooh, is 16 years old and weighs 23 pounds. It started with a bad ear infection. I took him to the doctor. He washed his ears out and gave him meds. I couldn't get the meds down him so I went back the next day.
This time he did a complete blood panel. He treated his ears and said that he has pancretitis. He gave him injections that were supposed to last two weeks. He seemed to be a little better. He was so lethargic, wouldn't eat very much, just wanted to sleep all the time. Gave me that "pls help me" look.

I took him back for the two week follow up. The vet then said he has Cushings disease. I didn't know much about this until I looked it up on the computer. He is now eating a little bit and scratching and biting his hair off. He also had a short seizure two days ago and I think he had another one tonight. On the two week follow up he still had the ear infection and he washed his ear out again. He wants to do another test (I've already spent over $500). That's OK. I'd pay a million if I could have him back and well again. The vet said the test would be $180 to find out for sure if it's Cushings. After researching it, I know that's what he has and then there would be some kind of treatment that I would have to him every two weeks or a month. I have had Pooh and Samantha (another poodle, 10 lbs. who is 18 years old).

I live only with them and love them more than life itself. I don't see my family much and have no friends here.

The problem is, I have limited income, but have taken care of these children as anyone ever could. I read that when they have Cushings, the odds are that he also has Cancer, or is very susceptible to getting it. If he can't ever be well ... I don't want him sick and in any kind of pain (I'm afraid at his age (16 yrs) he may not be able to get over this. I was thinking that perhaps I will just give him the things he wants to eat, sit with him and do everything I can to make him comfortable.and loved and when he gets really bad, I'll let him go. The thought of letting him go just literally makes me ill.

Can someone please help me and give me their opinion as to what I should do?

I just found this forum and it seems like the best one I've found. Sorry to make this so long, but I didn't know any short way to tell you.

Martha
I think you should discuss the concern for quality of life with your vet. He/she will be able to tell you what the disease will present and what it will do to an elderly dog. It is hard I know and I hope the vet can be sensitive and honest with you on if its best to treat/stabilize or let your baby go. I am sorry to hear of the struggle you are facing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh, thank you so much for answering my message.

With his condition right now, I would never do anything at this time. He will be with me as long as he feels half way good. If he gets diarrea, throws up inside, I don't care. I'll gladly clean it up and tell him he's a "good boy" so he'll know he didn't do anything wrong, that I know he can't help it. I will hold him, love him, appreciate him as I always have. Every morning for a long, long time, I have thanked God that he has let me have them for as long as I have. Both of them have been my life for seven years.

I always thought Samantha would go first since she is the oldest. Never in a million years did I think he would go first, but who knows. There could a miracle and he could get back to his old self, but at his age it probably isn't likely. Samantha has arthritis in her legs and doesn't walk really well, but she can run and jump just like always. I know if something happens to Pooh, she'll be very depressed. I would absolutely die if I lost both of them. I just go back and forth. I'm so upset and I know I'm just rambling on and on. Perhaps I just want someone to talk with me about it. I really don't have anyone to talk to about it and I know my blood pressure is way over the top. At 69, there's not to many people who want to talk to you about anything, much less something unpleasant like this.

Thanks again Pawzaddict for caring.
Martha

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ive never herd of a dog having Cushings.... hmmm...

My 27 year old thoroughbred mare had cushings. Her coat got really long and shaggy.. She had to get special meds for it. She passed away last auguest because of the cushings. She had a good life though.

Sorry i can't help you with your dog. Talk to your vet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cushings in Dogs

I didn't know they got it either; never heard about it in animals, but I've read at least 100 pages after searching for it on the web since I experienced this. I guess we can all learn something new everyday .

Thanks for reading my post.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm so very sorry you are going through this. I hope he gets better. It is so hard to watch them when they are so sick. I don't know anything about Cushings. I wish I could be more help. God Bless you and your fur baby.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Martha,
I had a dog with cushings. First of all you need to find out if the tumor is in his head or on the kidney.My dog had the tumor in her head. She was 5 at the time. I put her on chemo for about 2 months and I took her off it. The vet told me that she was probably shoot a blood clot and it would kill her, no pain. I agreed that I was not going to keep a dog that sick all the time, that's why I took her off it. When I returned to the vets, it happened that it was just enough to kill the tumor. She died when she was 17 years old. Yogi was part great pyrenese and part golden, so she was hugh. Big dogs don't live that long even when their healthy. I suggest that as long as she's comfortable live him alone.Your dog can live for years with this and live a good life.
Joyce

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joyce,
Thanks so much for your response. I think that's exactly what I'm going to do.

He's (Pooh) has been acting as if he feels fine for the past few days. Who knows what will happen. I'm just going to pretend he's fine for now and see how he does but I will never let him suffer for very long. After all, he's sixteen now. He's had a great life. I'm just going to pray that I'll know what to do if the time comes.

Martha

I can't believe you had a big dog that lived that long. That's unheard of!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am sorry about your dog. I have a 4 year old mixed that has had Cushings for 2 years. Murphy is on Lysodren weekly. I have not seen the symptoms that you described with him. His symptoms were that he was constantly eating and gaining too much weight. He never lost hair. Since he has been on the medication, he has stopped gaining so much weight. But, he has difficulty losing weight because of the Cushings. I would get a second opinion. My vet only did blood work and knew it was Cushings. Murphy also has had 2 knee surgeries. So, I know how it feels to do whatever it takes to make our "children" feel better. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
and said that he has pancretitis.>> My dog just had this and has been on intensive care at the hospital here in Boston, MA. It is very painful and probably why your dog won't eat. His pancreatics get inflammed from the CUSHINGS disease. My dog, a Maltese, has had it for a few years and this is one of the results if not treated. He is 11 years old. And yes, I know, the idea of losing him is just unbelievable and you don't realize it until you think of putting him down. My dog was lethargic and wouldn't eat and wouldn't even get up off the floor to follow me which is very RARE. I can give the dog no Fatty foods. I had given him some sausage balls and I think that is what made him so sick. I only give him boiled chicken now. And maybe a little rice. I figured the poor thing would be wimpering with the pain from the pancreatitus but I guess dogs don't wimper when in pain? So at the hospital he had an ultra sound to the tune of $300 to confirm it was pancreatitus (doc said it was really the only way to tell) plus blood tests, and whatever to the tune of $2300 for a three day stay. I had to put it all on my credit cards. Thank goodness I didn't have a balance already. It will take me well past Christmas to pay it all off. In the meantime Gus is doing fine and eating. At first I had to hand feed him a few pieces and the doc said if he didn't eat to come on back!! I figured I'd have to put him down if he didn't recover from this bout. She said to come back in two months and they will give him medicine to treat the Cushings so I will be doing that. I can't believe I got him back!! I thought he was finished with all those iv's in him (he was dehydrated and they were giving him pain medication at hospital). What excellent care he had. It is the Angel-Memorial Hospital. Thank goodness for that. I do think they have budget plans if you can't pay for it all at once or have limited income but I didn't need it as I had those darn credit cards to use. So ask your doctor about his diet with the pancreatitus because fat can cause it to be real painful. Its painful anyway. Who knew?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts