Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help needed please.

I rescued a 7 year old Collie x Staffy six weeks ago. Although the rescue didn't really have much background on her, she seemed to be a very good dog and was living with other dogs and cats. Foster lady said she was a really good dog and so we took her on.

Anyway, yesterday we went to a get together with extended family. She has been a bit grumpy with other dogs a couple of times but not towards humans.

However, she was sitting watching somebody eating and hoping for a bit of their food when a girl took off a guys shoe (he is a big bloke) and he took the shoe back and then began smacking the floor with it, hard next to her head (pretending to hit her) and she was screaming. At this point, in a flash, my dog starting growling and bit the man. She then ran straight back over to me and laid down on her back (being submissive).

There was a few puncture marks on the mans arm and a tiny bit of blood but not a major deep bite.

Do you think I should be worried about this dog or does it seem like a natural thing for a dog to do in this situation? Obviously, she's not to know they were playing.

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Do you think I should be worried about this dog
You have a lot to worry about. Now that you know this dog is a biter, you are on the hook for any financial damage due to unprovoked biting in the future, and possibly for this bite.
Depending where you are, there are 'dangerous dog' statutes with requirements that may lead to the dog being euthanized if future circumstances warrant.

All the legal issues aside, you still have plenty to worry about as far as her future behavior, and you should immediately consult a behaviorist. When a dog draws blood, and you have questions, you need a professional, not an internet discussion, when deciding on your course of action.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Per DF rules, the only assistance we can offer you is to advise you to seek help from a behaviorist. We cannot properly assess the dog or the situation here to give any other advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.