Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - my dog was diagnosed with a UTI 3 weeks ago. She was prescribed a round of antibiotics (2 weeks) which she finished a week ago. Yesterday, her symptoms appeared again (blood in urine, frequent urination etc). The vet wants me to bring her in again for further tests. So my question is...do you guys think this sounds right? Sometimes I feel like this vet is a bit of a cash grab, but that's a whole other story. I spent a small fortune on the first tests that confirmed she had a UTI, only a few weeks ago, so I can't help but feel resentful that I have to bring her in for more tests instead of them just prescribing another round of antibiotics. When I asked if they could do that instead she said she doesn't want to overprescribe antibiotics. Anyways, I guess I'm just looking for advice/reassurance that this sounds right to others?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
If the UTI recurs after a full antibiotic run, there may be some underlying cause, that the Vet wants to find. If you are uncomfortable with the Vet you are seeing, go to another for a second opinion, which certainly could not hurt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dog UTI Home Remedy

There are many dog UTI home treatment options to help your dog feel more comfortable and recover. Below are six dog urinary tract infection home remedy options. Please check with your vet before administering a dog urinary tract infection treatment.
Add one teaspoon (for small dogs) or 1-2 tablespoons (for big dogs) of apple cider vinegar to your dog’s water bowl. Repeat up to two times per day for up to seven to ten days, depending on how severe the UTI is. Be sure to have a second bowl of water without apple cider vinegar in case your dog doesn’t like the taste.
Have your dog soak in a hot bath (make sure it’s not too hot and the level isn’t too deep) for ten minutes to help relieve the muscles. Wash your dog with a mild soap and pay attention to the genital area. Don’t leave soap on the area for too long and be sure to rinse the area with clean, warm water. Do this every few days until the UTI is gone. Learn more about bathing your dog.
Encourage your dog to drink more water by placing extra water bowls around the house. Change the water once or twice a day to make sure it’s fresh.
Crush one 500mg Vitamin C tablet and sprinkle it over your dog’s food. Do this once per day for seven days.
Give your dog one to three teaspoons of citrus juice. The juice should NOT be from concentrate and SHOULD be all natural. Make sure there is no added sugar because it could aggravate your dog’s UTI further.
Add about two teaspoons of chopped blueberries or cranberries to your dog’s food. Do this twice per day for seven to ten days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts