Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I adopted a dog from the pound 2 days ago. Her name is Stella, She is a Chinese Sharpel & German Shepherd. I have 2 other dogs both chihuahua. The people I talk to said she was really good with other dogs, love kids, and walks. When I brought her home i notice something wrong about her. she does this whining thing with she see other dogs then she growls a little bit then cries while she is sniffing them. Now at first i thought this was just her trying to get use to the new home so I ignored it.

Second day however I took her to the mall with my girlfriend and her dog, kind of the same thing her's is a chihuahua as well Stella still did her whining thing around her. We were walking around and my girl wanted to go to the puppy store, at first I wasnt really up for it because of Stella but i wanted to see what would happen. we go in and Stella was whining really loudly when she say all the other dogs she didn't really want go in and stood in place. This time I took her back home and left her there with my mother around and the 2 other dogs. after a good hour i get a text from my mother saying she attack one of the chihuahuas. I went home and saw that she did. No blood, really red on her stomach. My mother said she had her pin to a corner and got her that way. They had to break it up. Good news is the chihuahua is fine. however im really worried about Stella. Shes a sweet heart and something tells me she really didn't wanted that but I dont know this is kind of the first behavior i really not sure about. I really dont want to take her back to the pound i love this dog a lot very well trained, loves hugs.

I can already assume this is because something in her past but of course the people at the pound didn't give me a lot of info about any of that and said she was a good dog and well behaved. Is anyone else thinking that she might have been attacked by another dog or she is not conferrable around other dogs.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'm thinking that she has a high prey drive and that she views toy, and maybe small, sized dogs as prey. Some dogs are just like that, it does not make them bad dogs, just poor choices to have in a household with toy / small sized dogs. It's the same reason why some dogs chase cats.

You may be able to work with her and get her to accept the other dogs in your household, but having shown herself willing to attack you Chi I'd proceed with a lot of caution. I'd start crating and rotating the dogs, and muzzle train Stella. Once Stella can happily wear a muzzle I'd then start working with her to get her used to the other dogs and view them as a member of the family rather then as prey. The thing is that even after I thought she was O.K. with the other dogs I'd still NEVER leave her alone with them, it's just to much of a risk that something might trigger her and if no one was around to stop her one of your Chi's might end up losing it's life.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I think that's a ton of stimulation for a dog trying to get used to a new home and new people. Why not keep her at home and keep the stimulation to a minimum until she gets used to her new people and area? I wouldn't even have company over for a few days. See if that helps to settle her down and then slowly introduce her to new situations and people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts