Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 6 year old Labrador Retriever who has a red sore under his jaw. It appeared about a week ago and I'm not sure if I should go see a vet. Do you guys have an idea what it is or how to cure it? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
Oh don't wait, go to the vet instead of asking on a forum.

It is always best to get expert advice from your Vet, and as I always say, it is better to be safe than sorry.

It looks like it has been there for awhile.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I would have my dog in to see the vet ASAP. It could be something minor but it looks like it could be a mast cell tumor. Mast cell tumors can be malignant and should be evaluated by a needle aspirate before removal. A needle aspirate should not cost too much money (I've been charged between $80-$125 at different vets). It will tell you if the cells are cancerous.

Sometimes when lumps are very small and don't appear to change/grow it is okay to watch them for a bit. But this is quite large, looks potentially malignant, and has not been there for very long. I really would go in as soon as possible.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I hope so, too!

It could be something benign as well, so don't worry until you have to, but when something big pops up like this, it's best to deal with it sooner rather than later.

Let us know what you find out!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The vet called and it's just an abscess! What a relief. Now I just have to give him some antibiotics and it should be fine. Thanks a lot for all the responses!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Honey had a small abscess last year that didn't require draining (and, in fact, similar to your situation, we had a needle aspirate because the vet was certain it was a mast cell tumor - then the cytology reported only inflammatory cells). She had a course of clavamox and it went away. I don't think it was a "full blown" abscess (but may have developed into one without treatment), because real abscesses do generally require draining.

In this case, I would suspect that if it was a larger abscess, the vet would have known what it was on inspection...of course if the antibiotics don't help resolve it, back to the vet!:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts