Dog Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Sorry guys, I think PK was only trying to explain the traits of the Catahoula.
The OP stated they had a Houla, and this behavior is one of the Leopard Dog, Catahoula.
From my studying, this is a trait, to herd, body slam, corral, but a gentle breed and care for their owners.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Oh, how strange haha. Jasper is very much a talker, in every aspect. He barks when happy, confused, frustrated, and everything in between. Especially when he can't get comfy in his blankets. Apparently, barking at them will fix the problem. :)
Sounds like Bree's twin :)

I listen for the tone of Bree's grumbles and vocalizations - there's a definite pitch change when she goes from happy to fixated/tense/etc... Once the pitch changes to a negative area, I put her on time-out and let her cool off, but otherwise I simply tell folks "she's noisy but loves to play". If they seem nervous, I call her off and go to a different section of the dog park, but often I get "Oh good, mine is too!"

·
Registered
452 Posts
I don't think you have that much of a problem, which is a good thing :)

Neither of my dogs like high-energy dogs. One comes in bouncing off the walls and running everywhere and my puppy gets nervous and stays as far away from it as possible. My older dog will turn around and bark loudly at the crazy dog...almost like she's yelling, "STOP IT" to the other dog :p

I think your dog is just trying to calm the other one down and teach him some manners. Wouldn't worry about it!

Edit:

Yeah and my puppy only really likes certain types of dogs. If they're too playful and crazy she will never approach them and if they approach her she might even put her tail down. If they're bigger then her then she is a little more timid. Any dog smaller than her she's like "HI!" and if they are the same size as her she tends to be much more friendly :)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts