Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 year old rottweiler has a large bump on her head. It showed up about a month ago and has stayed the same size. She seems bothered when we touch it and will sometimes growl. When she got her shots about 2 weeks ago the travel vet said she was probably born with it. If she was born with it why is it just now showing up? Is it anything to be concerned about? We are thinking of getting a second opinion soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
989 Posts
If it were me I'd absolutely be getting a second opinion! Especially if its causing her pain. If it showed up recently I can't see how she'd be born with it. Is it fleshy or hard? Does if raise above the fur? Is it red or inflamed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It feels hard. I think that's why he said she was born with it he said it's probably part of the skull. She won't stay still for a picture right now but it's not red. She only seems bothered by it when we're petting the area.

·
Registered
368 Posts
many many kinds of bumps show up on a dog… hard does NOT mean cancer… but soft does NOT mean NOT cancer. But most bumps are not cancer, either hard or soft. Best to sample it (if possible) and find out what it is… it is symmetrical? Is it right smack exactly in the middle of her head? If not, it is certainly not a normal thing. Would find out what it is. Certainly doubt it was there at birth, but some bumps (like the sagital crest) can show up later if your dog loses muscle mass for some reason… and that sort of bump is there from birth (but it is extremely symmetrical, right in the middle of a dog's head)… just hidden by the surrounding muscle tissue. Anyway you can show a photo of it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts