Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My rottweiler is 7 years old and has been living with us all his life and just as recently as today, My father would call him over and he would reach his hand out to pet him and the dog will just start growling at him and slowly backing away like he is some kind of stranger or something. He even tried to nip a few times and I'd say my father is the master. It's like a sudden behavior change because he would call him over and be able to pet him all the time and now he will just completely ignore the call, stare at him and pant or growl over and over again. He looks nervous or something. I try the same with me and he comes over to lick my hand, ect... Like normal. My father has never done anything to scare or hurt him in any way. He is scaring me with this strange behavior. Does he sense that something is wrong with my father? Did he have a bad dream about my father? Is my dog going senial? I am very confused. Has anyone experienced anything similar or has knowledge of this behavior ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah, agree that if the dog's suddenly & inexplicably changed towards your dad, I'd definitely be ruling out anything physical or neurological first. I'd advise your dad to not confront the dog in any way, even by staring at him or such.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
sudden behavioural changes should be chcked by the vet. perhaps it's also something simple, like the eyesight getting worse and dog getting scared by the big shadowy thing starting to touch his head. men are often taller and so more scary for some dogs...but since it's a sudden change I'd to allroud check before starting any behavioural training.

the panting shows the dog probably under stress.
it's probably very heartbreaking for your father to his dog react like this, but it's probably better to not put the dog under more stress right now. If I were him I'd try to not touch or pet the dog for now and instead talk a lot and with a calm, gentle voice with it, so that dog still knows there's a relationship with him but doesn't feel threatened.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts