Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m worried about my 10 month old dog he was hit by a car 2 weeks ago, vet said he was lucky and he didn’t have any major damage other than brushing and scuffs, but he’s change a lot since the incident he doesn’t want to eat anything at all not dog food, not wet food or human food I’ve tried everything he loved before and now he only smells it and goes away to hide, he doesn’t have a bowel movement unless I give him a dog eczema but I’m very worried about he’s lost of appetite, could it be because of the car that hit him I saw him fly in the air when it happened and I honestly didn’t think he would make it but he got up and ran inside the house right after he landed.... anybody with any advice in the matter?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you been back to the vet to tell him this?
Hi yea I took him in yesterday they just gave him some laxative and said to return in a couple of weeks if his diet didn’t improve but he’s looking slimmer every day and I don’t see him eating at all

·
Administrator
877 Posts
unless I give him a dog eczema
Eczema is a a skin condition, so not sure what you mean by this. I'm guessing it's a typo?

I wouldn't be happy leaving it another two weeks if my dog hadn't been eating for 2 weeks already. I'd be seeking a second opinion.

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
Enema?

I agree, second opinion. That would potentially be 4 weeks by the time he next sees him.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I agree a second opinion at a different vet is needed immediately if the dog has changed there is obviously something wrong if it is not physical it may be neurological either way it needs professional help.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I will add my vote to getting a second opinion as soon as possible. He may have internal injuries. Unless the vet you saw did a full workup with Xray and ultrasound he or she could have missed something. Go to a different vet.

·
Administrator
877 Posts
I’m worried about my 10 month old dog he was hit by a car 2 weeks ago, vet said he was lucky and he didn’t have any major damage other than brushing and scuffs, but he’s change a lot since the incident he doesn’t want to eat anything at all not dog food, not wet food or human food I’ve tried everything he loved before and now he only smells it and goes away to hide, he doesn’t have a bowel movement unless I give him a dog eczema but I’m very worried about he’s lost of appetite, could it be because of the car that hit him I saw him fly in the air when it happened and I honestly didn’t think he would make it but he got up and ran inside the house right after he landed.... anybody with any advice in the matter?
Is that the dog in your avatar pic? If so, he's gorgeous. :love:

·
Registered
701 Posts
So sorry your pup was hit, I'm glad there doesn't seem to be any skeletal damage.

I'm a bit outraged that the vet you saw isn't taking this more seriously. Did they do xrays and ultrasound? Pretty sad when forum folk are giving medial advice. What the hell is laxatives going to do of he hasn't been eating for 2 weeks? 😠 I feel his tummy troubles are being dismissed and pls seek out a different vet if they are not helping. So sorry you are in this situation. I hope the very best for you and your sweet pup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that the dog in your avatar pic? If so, he's gorgeous. :love:
Yes it that’s him he’s been seen by 2 different vets the first one was in the emergency animal hospital where I took him after he was hit he did a complete check up with X-ray and he said there was a pulmonary contusion but just to watch his breathing..he seams to have recuperated nicely from that but the not eating is what has him down

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So sorry your pup was hit, I'm glad there doesn't seem to be any skeletal damage.

I'm a bit outraged that the vet you saw isn't taking this more seriously. Did they do xrays and ultrasound? Pretty sad when forum folk are giving medial advice. What the hell is laxatives going to do of he hasn't been eating for 2 weeks? 😠 I feel his tummy troubles are being dismissed and pls seek out a different vet if they are not helping. So sorry you are in this situation. I hope the very best for you and your sweet pup.
He’s been seen by 2 different vets the first one was in the emergency animal hospital where I took him after he was hit he did a complete check up with X-ray and he said there was a pulmonary contusion but just to watch his breathing..he seams to have recuperated nicely,... and the second one from his regular vet who also didn’t find anything wrong, and just gave him laxative she thought that he’s Constipated therefore not eating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eczema is a a skin condition, so not sure what you mean by this. I'm guessing it's a typo?

I wouldn't be happy leaving it another two weeks if my dog hadn't been eating for 2 weeks already. I'd be seeking a second opinion.
Yes sorry it supposed to be enema

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe a third vet then. By chance, did either of these vets prescribe an anti inflammatory or pain medication? It might, stress on might, be a medication reaction. But this is a serious issue, even if the vets aren't taking it ad so.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Apparently, the laxative was given to him a while back....at least several days? If that is the case, I would say take him back to the vet, because the problem was not constipation, or at the very least that's not what it is now. More examination into the problem is required. I agree with others that this is a serious issue. You may have to just keep trying tests until you find out what it is. I wonder if taking him back to the original hospital where he went might be even a good idea?

·
Registered
701 Posts
He’s been seen by 2 different vets the first one was in the emergency animal hospital where I took him after he was hit he did a complete check up with X-ray and he said there was a pulmonary contusion but just to watch his breathing..he seams to have recuperated nicely,... and the second one from his regular vet who also didn’t find anything wrong, and just gave him laxative she thought that he’s Constipated therefore not eating.
Ok sorry I got upset, I got carried away with the comments. Did he get an ultrasound?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe a third vet then. By chance, did either of these vets prescribe an anti inflammatory or pain medication? It might, stress on might, be a medication reaction. But this is a serious issue, even if the vets aren't taking it ad so.
Yes the emergency animal hospital gave him some antibiotics for wounds and a pain/ant inflammatory pill for the contusion, but I stopped it after 5 days because I thought though the medication was making him loss his appetite. But it’s been over 10 days I haven’t giving his medicine I’ll look into taking him for a 3rd vet maybe there’s some food stimulants he can prescribe

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Get the dog to another vet by all means but explain that you did not keep up the medication regime vets don't prescribe these medications for a joke they give you a certain amount because that's what they think is going to be needed you should never stop medication without consulting the vet that prescribed it.

You cannot keep giving a dog an enema to make him open his bowels something needs to be done xray might not show everything you need to get this sorted and not waste time looking for homemade remedies or possibilities ...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes the emergency animal hospital gave him some antibiotics for wounds and a pain/ant inflammatory pill for the contusion, but I stopped it after 5 days because I thought though the medication was making him loss his appetite. But it’s been over 10 days I haven’t giving his medicine I’ll look into taking him for a 3rd vet maybe there’s some food stimulants he can prescribe
Probably you didn't know this, and you can't know what you don't know. But I want you to know now so that the same mistake is not made ever again.
Even if you think the dog is reacting to the antibiotics, you should not ever stop giving them until the course has been completed, because what that can do is strengthen the infection and make it harder for any antibiotics to work on it, meaning you will possibly have to do an even longer course of the antibiotics to take care of it now.

If you think your dog is having a bad reaction to an antibiotic, you should call the vet and have them try a different one on your dog if it might be causing the problem. Also, you didn't know if that were the cause of his lack of appetite or not, so another reason for a vet consult rather than deciding it was the medication and stopping it. Apparently that was not the cause of his lack of appetite, in this case.

At this point it's possible he has an internal infection which has gotten worse due to the antibiotics being stopped, so he definitely needs to get back to the vet and you need to tell them that you stopped the medication. If they give him something again, make sure you complete the full course of medication. And I am sending you good luck wishes.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Get the dog to another vet by all means but explain that you did not keep up the medication regime vets don't prescribe these medications for a joke they give you a certain amount because that's what they think is going to be needed you should never stop medication without consulting the vet that prescribed it.

You cannot keep giving a dog an enema to make him open his bowels something needs to be done xray might not show everything you need to get this sorted and not waste time looking for homemade remedies or possibilities ...
Agree! If infection set in, that could explain why he's not eating. Or in pain. I hope not, but best to check that out asap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Agree! If infection set in, that could explain why he's not eating. Or in pain. I hope not, but best to check that out asap.
Yes I schedule with a different vet, I believe the antibiotic was only prescribed as a precaution, because he had a small opening on the top of his head, but that healed up pretty quickly, never the less I’ll run it by the vet and make him give him an ultrasound, he needs to have his appetite back

1 - 20 of 25 Posts