Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else's dog had this surgery? Outcome? My dog has been sick for the past couple of weeks, today the vet found a mass on his spleen via ultra sound. He recommends surgery ASAP. :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is very scary, the worst part is that there is a chance that he has tumors elsewhere or that the tumor is also attached to his liver. If those are the cases we won't wake him back up.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I hope everything turns out ok.

I've had many dogs go through surgeries at various ages in their lives. It always is a little harder on the older dogs though.

I lost a dog, Ernie, to a tumor rupturing his spleen... I had No Idea he was even sick..as he was eating and drinking and acted normally. He was gone within 20 minutes of it happening...bled to death internally.

So, I really do feel for you and your dog....and again, I hope everything turns out ok and also it's good that he gets a chance of waking up and being able to spend more time with you. I've had many many hours of heartbreak wondering if I missed something...and never gave Ernie that chance....but I also know that I pay pretty close attention to my pets and I just never noticed he was ill. So it came as a complete surprise when he died on me.

Please let us know how things turn out....

Stormy

·
Registered
368 Posts
It's a fairly routine surgery and as long as there are no more tumors in other places it should go well. I have done hundreds of these myself and never had a bad outcome (at least from the surgery… some dogs did have metastatic disease and did succumb later on from the other tumors that spread elsewhere)

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've seen this surgery done on at least half a dozen of our patients and all of them recovered just fine. They went home that same day and we're back to their normal selves within a few days.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I know a few people whose dogs had their speen removed. One, a rottweiler, lived another year after the surgery to the age of 11.

One, a GSD suffered internal bleeding and was euthanased not long after his surgery.

Another GSD lived about 3 normal months after his surgery. Both GSDs were around 10 years old when spleen problems surfaced. Unfortunately, it seems, that in the UK, lots of GSDs get spleen problems.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The surgery went well, they were able to remove the spleen and entire tumor. He had ruptured and started bleeding into his abdomen, so they got in there just in time. The bad news is there is a chance for it to come back, as others have mentioned. But for now he will enjoy a much more comfortable life. Hopefully for many more years.

He is staying the weekend at the vet, they wanted him on IV antibiotics and pain medication, as well as fluids to offset the blood loss. He only weights about 9 pounds, and they removed a baseball sized tumor. Poor guy!

Being away from him is just as hard, I want to snuggle him and make sure he is comfortable. The people at the vet office must think I am crazy as I must have called at least eight times throughout the day on the day of his surgery. Yesterday I went and spent an hour just sitting with him. Hopefully he comes home tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I'm so glad he's made it through the surgery. Hope he's home soon and that you have many more years together. This sort of thing can sure make you appreciate every day with them as a gift. He's absolutely adorable but you know that. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts