Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11 year old 8 pound poodle that, about a year ago, started getting up to be walked at 2:30 am. Over time I managed to get that to 6 am but mostly 4:30 am. Have tried not giving her any food after 6 pm, no water after 6 pm. Any suggestions on how to stop this?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Is the dog walked in the evenings and ready to sleep? What time is the dogs bathroom break before the dog sleeps?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Pax was waking me up at the first crack of sunlight cuz mainly he wanted to eat as well as go out. I have him trained to pretty much pee on command, so last thing we now do before bed is go out for him to pee, then he gets a pretty good handful of kibble as a reward for going pee and a late night snack...now he will sleep in much longer and not have to get up early or in the middle of the night.

...but he is a 2 year old puppy...at 11 years old, you may have more of a medical condition on your hands. I would get a full checkup and consult with your vet.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If this is a sudden behavior developing at 11 years old I would recommend visiting the vet for a full workup. There could be something medical going on with her. Many dogs become less capable of holding it for long periods as they get older.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts