Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my dog, Tiger, a pure bred male pomeranian, for four years now. He's always been the sweetest dog, good with kids and other animals, yet he acts strange sometimes. I have a roommate, who sleeps in the same room as me. This has been the case ever since we got Tiger, so there has not been a drastic change. Normally he would sleep in his dog house one of my friends had built for him, but sometimes I take him out to sleep with me. He's fine until my roommate gets up to go to the bathroom, then comes back. He then growls and barks at her, trying to bite her, even after she speaks to him and tries to tell him it's okay. This is only half the problem, however. Tiger also has a problem with people opening or shutting the bedroom doors. If he hears it (I will touch upon this in a moment), he immediately bolts towards that door, barking and growing, and even tries to bite the person who opened/closed that door, going so far as to lunge up to their waist to get at them. This is only if the door creaks, though. If the door does not creak or slam, he does not react, even if he can see the door opening or shutting. Other than these behaviors, Tiger is a lovely dog and so sweet, he loves kisses, cuddles, and watching TV with you. I have reasons to believe he may have been neglected when he was a pup, but I have no idea if that would have caused this. Please, if you have any tips or information, reply! I need some help for my little angel!

Extra Information; Tiger is fixed, and has been for three and a half years. He's never aggressive around other dogs or cats, just overly curious sometimes. He also growls at my younger brother when he approaches him, but usually he does not bite him unless provoked (he has always shown a dislike for my brother, I am not aware why). Tiger loves new people, he's always affectionate and loves to smell them, never barking unless he knows the person is not supposed to be there.

·
Registered
669 Posts
This dog is biting. That is pretty serious. You need to involve a good, positive-reinforcement focused behaviorist ASAP, this is not something we can or really should be helping with online. Yes, he is a small dog, but it seems like he is showing very inappropriate levels of aggression towards pretty mundane stimuli and even a pomeranian can still cause a nasty bite. There may be a reason he is doing so (like not wanting you brother to approach/touch him), or he may be one of those dogs that for some mental or physical reason suddenly has bursts of aggression.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to also add this environment is not the best, there is a lot of yelling and my brother once hit him when he was a pup, but we're unable to get into a better environment until further notice.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I agree this needs training, and I would suggest getting a trainer. I'm curious if this is different with time too. Does this happen just at night when all of you are sleeping and the friend goes to the bathroom and comes back, or does it also happen if you're all just hanging out in the room too? Does he ever react that way to you too? And is the JUST happening with the roommate and the night time bathroom visits?

In the meantime I would have your roommate practice going in and out of the room with some really yummy treats like hot dogs or cheese. As soon as Tiger comes over to her, she can give him a treat. He'll start to see it's a great thing she's coming in and be happy instead of reactive. However I would suggest a trainer supervise this and advise.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I forgot to also add this environment is not the best, there is a lot of yelling and my brother once hit him when he was a pup, but we're unable to get into a better environment until further notice.
No wonder why he doesn't like your brother, he has a fear of him being hit. I would growl at him too!

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Lets rule out any medical condition.

I don't usually get into conversations like this, but ruling out anything medical, you should seek a qualified dog behaviorist, one that practices PR.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts