Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 year old female Golden Retriever rescue dog. She is neutered and in excellent health. She has been in at least two homes before mine. I know that one owner took her in as a stray. A second owner gave her up after one year. I have had her for 2 years, The first year was in South Florida. The second year she was in Long Island NY. She is sweet and only wants to be petted and loved. She follows me from room to room, velcro style. To be blunt that is all she does. She doesn't respond to any normal commands. No sit, stay, come, or any other command. She doesn't respond to treats. She will carry a soft toy in her mouth when walking around in doors. That's it.

Now for the PROBLEMS !
On walks she will stop and refuse to move. At first she walked fine on the leash. But if I deviated from her normal walk, she'd stop and not move. She would only go where she wanted to go. She would remain frozen for 10 to 15 minutes. This happened on average 2 to 3 times a week. After a year I moved to Long Island. Her new home had a fenced in back yard. She loved the back yard. I'd let her out and she would do her business. During the warmer months she stayed out for longer periods of time. as time passed she occasionally refused to come back in the house. Now it's the fall and she refuses to come back in 90% of the time. When I go and leash her up, she refuses to even stand up. She just lays there. If I get her up on her feet, she will not move. It's worse at night. Sometimes I think she's blind and/or deaf.
She does not respond to any stimuli. It's like she is catatonic. I just don't know what to do anymore. I live with my two grown up sons and they have the same problems with her. She is not our first Golden. But we have never seen anything like this. Please help me.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Have you had her to the vet to make sure she is cleared medically? And make sure her hearing and vision is ok. Also look into canine cognitive disorder.

You don't know what she has been though in her life, she could be traumatized by the past maybe. Have you tired teaching her commands like sit and come? I have one dog that isn't very food or toy motivated, it can make training a little harder. Find something she loves, toy, food or praise and you can use that for training.

Reactions: CoyotePro
1 - 2 of 2 Posts