Dog Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 month old bloodhound/French mastiff has recently started drinking what seems to me an excessive amount of water. I have a 2.5 gallon automatic water dispenser and I find myself refilling it every other day sometimes more often. I've heard that large dogs are prone to bloating from excessive eating and drinking which can be harmful. I'm not entirely sure if that's true but it got me a little worried so I stopped filling the 2.5 gallon jug and just started filling up a bowl to try and prevent him from drinking so much water. Well now he's constantly wanting to go outside (every 15-30 min) just to eat the snow! I'm not sure if he just drinks a lot of water because he's such a large dog but I've lived with a Great Dane before and he never drank that much water. I started to think maybe he has diabetes but his energy level is the same as always. Are there any other reasons he could be drinking this much water or am I just being paranoid?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
That sounds like an awful lot of water. I would take him in and get him looked at and have the vet run blood work.

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
Also make sure they run a urine analysis to check for excessive protein in the urine or signs of infection.

And you said "him", so it's not a female pup coming into heat...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also make sure they run a urine analysis to check for excessive protein in the urine or signs of infection.

And you said "him", so it's not a female pup coming into heat...
Posted via Mobile Device
Correct he is a male dog, he hasn't been fixed though if that makes a difference

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Are you feeding him dry kibble only? How much are you feeding him? How much does he weigh?

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
He does eat only dry kibble and eats 5 cups a day, 2 meals of 2.5 cups each. Right now he's about 75-80 lbs
Well he will need quite a bit of water to deal with that dry kibble, but 1.25 gallons a day does sound excessive.

Is he peeing a huge volume too? Does he want to go out to pee often?

In any case, I will of course add to the chorus to get him checked by your vet as soon as you can.

If you are concerned about bloat, pre-soaking his kibble is a good idea. Overall I would not limit his water intake, but you could give it to him a cup at a time, so he does not over fill his tummy all at once. Wait a while and give him another cup or two. But clearly his body needs the water, so make sure he gets enough. Making him thirsty or dehydrated won't help.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Great to have a diagnosis! Giardia can be tough to get rid of... sometimes taking a couple of rounds of meds, so stick with it.
Good luck to you and the pup!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts