Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I just want to see if you guys have any suggestions.

About 3 and a half weeks ago, my husband and I adopted a chug (Chihuahua pug) named Dobby. We have two cats and at first there was some hissing, discomfort, etc. We started out crate training, but it stormed one night so he's now in our bed.:p We then gave him a small spare room and bought a grass pad so he could use the restroom while we are gone at work. He never used it.

Now, though he and the cats aren't friendly... they are completely fine unless he gets in the their faces, but he generally won't, so we let them all roam the house while we're gone. At this point, we're gone around 11 hours a day because I'm being forced to work almost an hour away for a couple months, while my company builds a new, closer location. After that it'd be more like 9 hours, or less, plus occasional walks on my lunch. My husband permanently works pretty far away and he made it a habit, especially at first, to come home to let him out. It's just not feasible all the time. We try not to go anywhere after work and try to run around and play with him and take him on a long walk (but he's pretty lazy...lol).

He's about 7 pounds so I feel horrible about him going this long without using the restroom. He is potty trained and will not use the pad, though I still leave it out, just in case.

We purchased a sash doggy door that goes in our very low window and then an outdoor kennel. We fashioned some garden fencing/a tarp on top (mostly in case the cats get out) and zip tied it securely against our house and there are doggy stairs on the outside of the window/ homemade stairs inside. The ones for sliding glass doors will not work because ours go out onto concrete instead of grass.

Long story short (sorry, I'm wordy)... our cats really like it. We try to keep them away, but they really want to go outside. He's not a fan of the door itself, but he used to go to the bathroom if we could get him out. It's been about a week. However, now he doesn't even like to use the restroom in it. The cats, to my knowledge, are not using the restroom outside and I don't think he's using it to go to the bathroom when we're away. I'm not sure if he's scared to use it because of them. He has no problem walking past them/zipping by them for treats, etc.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Is there something else I could be doing? I've spent a lot of time/money trying to find a way to allow him to use the restroom while we're out.

We can't shut the cats away from the door, as it's an open floor plan and we do not want them confined to a bedroom.

Will he just get used to it eventually, or when he needs to go badly enough? We never have accidents in the house, except once when it was storming and he was scared and when he first came in, to mark his territory.

Does he just not have to pee as much as I assume he does? We let him out/encourage him to use doggy door at least 4 times a day, though more on weekends.

Thank you!:)

·
Registered
502 Posts
If he really needed to go, he would. As long as he's not having accidents, I wouldn't worry. Some dogs just have very good bladders. 2 of my dogs can't hold it more than about 9 hours, but Chess can hold it for so long. I try not to make her, but on very rare occasions she's held it 14 hours and not even seemed desperate.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Some dogs just will not go inside their home territory. My dog won't go within a block of my apartment unless he is really, really sick. This is terribly fun when there's a half inch of ice on the ground, let me tell you.

If he had to go, he would. When Kabota was sick and couldn't hold it, he went. So if your dog couldn't hold it, he'd go.

Reactions: Sha

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both! :thumbsup:

You're right... I'm probably worrying too much. I tend to google things I'm curious about and I've seen so many people attacked for having dogs while having a full time job. I just don't have the funds to consistently have someone come and take him on walks during work.

It started to make me feel guilty, but I'm giving him some options that hopefully he'll eventually take advantage of.

I'm sure he's happier being here than he was at the pound, where they did tell us he had accidents in his little cage and weren't sure if he was potty trained. So, again, that does confirm what you're saying and what I basically already knew.

This is my first dog that isn't also my parents', so I just don't want to be an irresponsible pet owner. It's kind of amazing how most people don't think much about their pets and what's best for them, but even those dogs tend to lead pretty decent lives as long as their owners care about them. They're a lot more work than cats, but definitely worth it. :D

·
Registered
507 Posts
Some dogs just will not go inside their home territory. My dog won't go within a block of my apartment unless he is really, really sick. This is terribly fun when there's a half inch of ice on the ground, let me tell you.

If he had to go, he would. When Kabota was sick and couldn't hold it, he went. So if your dog couldn't hold it, he'd go.
Yes. Some dogs are just very hardcore about this.

We had a dog who went blind later in life, and his desire not to do any sort of elimination anywhere near home was one of the biggest issues we had dealing with his blindness.

It sounds like you're doing a great job for Dobby (which omg perfect name for him). He looks so happy! :) Keep it up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts