Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone may be able to assist with a strange issue we are having with one of our dogs. We have been in our current house for about a year and our 2 dogs sleep in the laundry - it is fairly small, they have separate beds. Recently over the last month (it has been increasingly worse the last 2 weeks) one of our dogs keeps barking and appears she just does not want to sleep in the Laundry or in her bed. She does go outside however she just goes out and lays on the deck or sits at the door meaning she doesn't need to go to the toilet. every now and again she will need to go out to the toilet in the middle of the night (if she doesnt go before bedtime) however this issue appears to be not linked to bowel/urinary issues.

She will go out and then we will close the door and leave her outside then 15 mins later she is scratching at the door to come back in or will bark for us to let her in, when we open the door she is reluctant to come in or half comes in and then runs back outside again. When we put her back in the laundry she again 2 mins later is scratching at the door to go out. Last night this process was repeated about 5 times between midnight and 3am. It usually starts not long after she is put in the laundry and this was after i had taken them for a 90 minute walk - she was exhausted this morning from the carry ons last night plus from the exercise.

My wife and I are near the end of our tether with her and we are pretty sure its because she just wants to lay on our bed with us as we usually let her lay on the bed of a night before we go to bed.

Is this just our dog being naughty (which she can be) and she is way too smart for her own good. Is it just her trying to get her own way or could she just not like sleeping in a small room of a night? Usually when they have had a big walk this doesnt happen but over the last couple of weeks she has still be constantly carrying on even after a big walk.

I usually walk them once a day after work for at least an hour so I am pretty sure they are getting enough exercise - she is also nearly 10 years old!

Any ideas/tips are appreciated!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I don't know why dogs need to sleep apart from their people, but I'm weird that way. When you give in to her by allowing her to sleep on your bed eventually, you're teaching her that if she continues on the behavior you described, eventually she'll get what she wants, which is to sleep in your bed. Can't you move both beds at least into your bedroom? You might all sleep better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't let them sleep in our room (even on the floor) because they keep getting on our bed during the night and they are not small dogs, leaves us no room to move, broken sleep, constantly waking up etc. One of our dogs is pretty good the other one (as described above) keeps jumping on the bed. Or one of them goes out and gets on the couch or on the other spare beds

If they stayed in their bed it wouldnt be so bad

·
Registered
433 Posts
We don't let them sleep in our room (even on the floor) because they keep getting on our bed during the night and they are not small dogs, leaves us no room to move, broken sleep, constantly waking up etc. One of our dogs is pretty good the other one (as described above) keeps jumping on the bed. Or one of them goes out and gets on the couch or on the other spare beds

You could crate them in your room until they learn to sleep in their own beds in the same room.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Yeah for the better sleep of everyone :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.