Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my Danes is terribly skinny.
Her weight dropped by about 15 lbs when she hurt her leg 4 MONTHS ago. I am very angry because I have been to TWO vets spent over 1600 DOLLARS and she isnt any better!!
Any now to add to it she is underweight! When I asked the vet I switched to he said "leave her like this for now So I can more easily observe her ankle swelling".
So I said well I cannot fix her leg but she can at least be the proper weight. I went out and bought puppy food and canned food. Normally our Three danes eat out of a huge bowl and can get food whenever they want. So I decided to add to that structured meals 2-3 times a day.
She has always been skinny but this is ridiculous, my other two are 115, and 100lbs (the are 2 year old girls, trust me, not underweight just fairly small)
Gabby is a lowly 75lbs!! I was really excited about making some progress finally. I filled the bowl 1/4 with puppy dry food and a can of Wet food and cover it in beef juice from some beef I was cooking.
She Slowly ate about half of the food and ran away to lay back down. I came over and she just avoided the bowl.
This is killing me!! How to I get her to eat??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Something is wrong, there is a reason she isn't eating. It has to be inside of her some pain or nauseous feeling. I just lost a dog to liver cancer, (not saying she has this) but i know how hard it is when they wont eat. Towards the end they gave her a lot of meds to kick start her appetite. I would be calling my vet

·
Registered
40 Posts
Has she been spayed yet? I have a friend with 2 danes and one was not the least bit interested in eating at all especially around her heat cycle. Was thin and she would make these meals for her. But once she fixed her she packed on the pounds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Something is wrong, there is a reason she isn't eating. It has to be inside of her some pain or nauseous feeling. I just lost a dog to liver cancer, (not saying she has this) but i know how hard it is when they wont eat. Towards the end they gave her a lot of meds to kick start her appetite. I would be calling my vet
I want her to be checked but like i said the vet told me he wanted her thin for now so he could more easily observe her leg.
She DOES eat just not much at all, she'll eat dry food every now and then but she only ate half a can of wet food and some spaghetti today.
I can hear my other dogs outside pounding on the door because they want leftovers and gabby wont touch anything I try to give to her. In fact after offering food to her she tried to run away and avoid the bowl.
I Wish I could just ask a vet but I don't wanna go spend another 300 dollars for some BS meds and advice that does nothing.
My dad said maybe its because its uncomfortable to go to the bathroom because of her back leg but I wouldnt think so. He means this as in squatting to go to the bathroom but I guess theres a possibility of something hurting internally from the accident??
Either way she was skinny before this all happened and it was something I wanted to work on, its just worse now because she doesnt get up as much because of the leg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has she been spayed yet? I have a friend with 2 danes and one was not the least bit interested in eating at all especially around her heat cycle. Was thin and she would make these meals for her. But once she fixed her she packed on the pounds.

No she isn't in heat and basically always acts like this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts