Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 5 month old Belgian Malinois, and I take him to the dog park everyday but he usually doesn't interact with the dogs. When a new dog comes up to him for the first time they sniff each other and once the dog comes back after a few minutes he tends to bark at them. He's very social with other people and goes up to any person in the park but he's not so into dogs lol. Anybody have any suggestions? I also have two other dogs that he's with all the time and he doesn't seem to mind them.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Gorgeous pup! We have a neighbor who has a 2 1/2 year-old rescue lab mix from a hoarding situation. He has been with them for exactly one year and he is not super "playful" either. They go to the park every morning and he enjoys running around but not really playing with the dogs. He loves my dog (1 year-old cockapoo) and when they hang out together in the back yard, he will mostly lay down and wag his tail but not run around and play. He seems happiest going for walks and hanging with his people. Maybe that is true for yours too.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
So long as you keep letting him have good interactions with other dogs so that he does not become reactive towards them there's nothing wrong with him not wanting to interact with them.

I lovingly refer to my boy Zody as the Fun Police, while he will sniff other dogs, and is usually good around calm dogs, he strenuously objects to other dogs trying to play with him and he will carry it further and tries to stop other dogs from playing together. I'm watching S, a friend's dog, and had Zody with me at friend's apartment while I spent time with S. Another friend dropped by with his dog who is S's best buddy and Zody pitched a fit when the 2 dogs started playing, I had to put Zody in the bedroom so that he did not start a fight. That is the type of behavior you do not want. I wouldn't have cared if Zody had chosen not to join in the fun, but to react the way he did was uncalled for and unacceptable.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Some dogs just don't enjoy socializing with other dogs. Belgian are bred to work very closely alongside humans and their handler, not so much other dogs. It's pretty common in the breed ive noticed.

Try taking him somewhere you can practice tricks or commands. Take him to a field and toss a treat in the grass and practice nose games. I don't usually reccomended dog parks to socialize dogs as so many things can go wrong and there's no other stimulation so dogs especially ines that don't particularly enjoy playing with other dogs can become overwhelmed. Belgian are very intelligent! In sure he'd love to go somewhere with just you and working his brain never hurts!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts