Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
M y 4 year old Bichon Maltese mix used to love being out in the yard all the time summer and winter. Now she will hardly leave the deck or garage. We have a hidden fence and she has trained very well with it. We did have a problem with the fence a few months ago where our other dog 6 year old Bichon/Maltese/Shih tzu was was getting to close to the line and we turned up correction on the fence. Not sure if she got a correction or if someone going by did something to her. I can get her to go out and play with me most of the time but when we are done she heads right back to the deck.

Wondering how to get her over her fear?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
What do you mean turned up the correction on the fence?

When you say hidden fence I assume you mean a buried wire with collars not an exposed live wire. If it's the former the collars should be tuned individually since the sensibility to the shock is individual.

Even so if there was never a problem with the fence before and she doesn't show any new reaction near the boundary, I'd be inclined to look elsewhere for the problem. Maybe she saw a snake, tripped and strained something or a million other things. Keep playing with her outside and see if she doesn't improve.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply!

We turned up the shock, but only for 2 days she never gets close to the line usually ad yes buried wire.

The past couple days I have been taking her on the leash in the yard. Not forcing her but trying to encourage her without trying to make her anxiety worse. She also enjoys walking around the block without any problems.

Will definitely keep working with her, just want her to be outside with us and run around our yard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds to me like she is afraid she will get shocked. Been having much rain lately? I would check the ground wire, and if possible add an extra ground rod.
She may be feeling a vibration that you can't feel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts