Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1 year old chow, because of this issue the back part of his legs are getting pretty bad. Ever time I try to groom it he'll either bite the comb or bite my arm (not in a hard way just enough to tell me to stop). I tried treats to asking the vet if he's alright. Turns out... he just doesn't like his legs touched. So what can I do about it?

·
Registered
161 Posts
You should work with a trainer. If he won't bite you seriously and is just uncomfortable, you can try the bucket game by Chirag Patel

https://youtu.be/GJSs9eqi2r8
https://youtu.be/lUiP1ZO6rR8

I actually am very passionate about teaching my animals to love husbandry things like brushing, nail clipping, and taking medicine. For example, Pip begs me to cut her nails every night and I have to tell her that she doesn't have enough nails for me to clip! She used to bite the brush, too, but now she's very calm. The secret is not just to throw treats on the dog, but to establish some kind of system of consent.

I recommend the bucket game to most people because it's very easy.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I assume you mean his back part of his legs are getting a bit matted? or is just a lot of hair? It could be that when you try to brush it out especially if there are some matts that its uncomfortable or hurts a little.
Just because he is a chow and given his coat type I would maybe see if you can get your vet or a groomer just to help get it in a more manageable state so you can work with him without having it get worse over time.
You want to create a positive association with you touching his legs and with the grooming brushes (speaking of, what do you use to groom him?). Just start by touching his leg for a second then giving him a treat and work up to you moving your hand around his leg and "manipulating" it each time giving him a treat so you touching his legs becomes a good thing. Its sort of the same process with the grooming tools, let him just sniff the tool first then treat then work up to touching him with the tool then treat, then work up doing a bit of brushing then treat.

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Samantha doesn't much like her legs brushed, and will try to bite the brush. I turn it into a catch the brush game, so she probably sees some play value in the morning brushing routine. Don't think she loves it, but she is pretty good to tolerate the process more often than not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i would touch around his legs and give him a treat for being calm, then when he's totally chill with that part being touched, move on more towards his legs and just keep going from there. baby steps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts