Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My baby dog Hershey was 13 yrs old, had a collapsed trachea for a few years but was in good health in general able to breath fine on her own and didn't need medication. I was with this clinic for over 10 years and they had all Hershey's medical records. She had a dental done couple years ago with them and had recovered fine.

On Jan. 24th Monday morning, I brought both my dogs(Hershey and Woffy) in at Center Sinai for routine dental on appointment. The doctor did anesthesia on her and extracted several bad tooth, the doctor's name is Christina Quel who performed the surgery. They told me my babies should be ready for pickup around 4~5pm. I was not contacted at all through out the day until I called in to check on them around 5:30pm, the nurse answered the phone told me my babies are doing fine, they are just resting, but the doctor would like to talk to me when I arrive, concerned, I asked again is everything ok, she repeated the same thing that my babies are doing just fine.

I was not told what Hershey's condition was until I went to pick her up, arrived around 8pm. Upon arrival, the doctor told me Hershey had a completely collapsed trachea, had difficulty breathing but is doing fine at the moment resting in oxygen tank. Then she brought me to Hershey, she was in an oxygen tank but she stood up trying to get to me and I did hear she had NOT normal breathing. The doctor then recommended me to bring her to nearby emergency hospital for overnight care, again, concerned about her condition, I asked if it's better for her to rest in the oxygen tank until the next morning, but she said there is no-one at the clinic for overnight care, and I should drive her to emergency for overnight care just to watch over her breath. I asked if it'll be ok, she said no worries. Trusting the doctor, I did the drive myself.

It was a 5 minutes drive, once I started driving I immediately noticed her increased breathing, I wasn't looking at the clock, but my estimate is about 3~4 minutes into the drive she began to breath very very very hard to the point she just couldn't breath anymore. At this point, I was half way to ER and it will be too late to return back to the clinic, although panicking, I continued my drive knowing the ER prob. could manage better in this situation too. I tried to sit her up and tried to open her mouth but it was shut so tight I couldn't open it, she then passed out and stopped breathing, I immediately started rubbing her body and calling her name, she started to struggle for breath again but it was too too difficult, I tried so hard to keep her conscious. Once I stepped into the emergency room and handed her over to the nurse, they brought her in immediately. Few minutes later the nurse came out and told me her heart stopped but they managed to bring her back with CPR. She's then in the ICU and the doctor told me the survival rate is less than 5%~10%. She developed pneumonia which is life threatening as well, the doctor at ER told me it could have developed during dental, or during the stay, or during the ride to the ER or during CPR, when did it happen exactly, they have no idea.

She was struggling to live on a ventilator for 3 days, but her lungs completely failed on 27th/Thursday Morning, and we had to let her go in her sleep.

I was no VET, I did not understand the severity of the situation, solely relied on the vet's advises, blindly trusting the doctor, on transporting Hershey myself thinking she would do just fine. Center sinai passed Hershey to me in such severe condition most likely knowing there might be a chance for her to die during the drive to ER? How could they even release her to me like that??? Without giving me any warning and did not care to explain too much because they were in a hurry to close the clinic at 9pm?

Why the clinic didn't send her to intensive care immediately after the surgery and failed to notify me until I went to pick her up hours after? And knowing her condition, why did they ask me to drive her myself to emergency room and didn't even let me know maybe it'll be better for Hershey to be transported by an ambulance??? Or maybe offer to send a nurse with me for the ride just to watch her condition? I feel the whole thing could be avoided if they notified me right after the dental or simply cared more to offer me better options than throwing her to me without telling me what could been the consequences driving her to the ER on my own.

I feel Center Sinai had failed completely in after care of Hershey, and they are fully responsible for Hershey's death. I demand justice for my baby, please help me on how I can fight them.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
What a tragic outcome, I'm so very sorry.

It does sound like they should have known how bad her situation was and not just turned her over to you to transport without oxygen. They didn't even contact you to let you know there was any problem. That alone is unforgivable. Hershey was struggling to breathe and they didn't think you needed to be informed?

This is lack of proper care and advice after surgery. Maybe she could have been saved if she had been able to continue oxygen treatment, unfortunately you didn't get the chance to find out. They weren't giving you any other choice. I agree that they didn't provide the care that they should have. I would explore legal options. Just like people that leave their dog at a day care and the dog gets injured, the day care is responsible for that. This vet is responsible for having your dog taken away from the oxygen that was helping her breathe. I can't imagine how horrible that must have been for you and being that it's something that possibly could have been avoided makes it so much worse. Your heart is broken, and I'm so sorry for you and Hershey. I would be heartbroken and very angry as well.

I think you should contact a lawyer and make them responsible for their actions. Some people might think that path is only about money, but it's not. It's about insuring that the practices that were followed that day never happen again. It's about accountability for people in the medical field that we trust to give us accurate information on the best care for our furry family members. It's about getting some last bit of justice for Hershey that shouldn't have died because of the decision they gave you. You'll never know if she would have recovered and lived happily for a few more years if they hadn't made that one critical decision. As for a possible settlement. Nothing wrong with that at all. You lost your beloved pet and nothing can compensate for that.

I would be beyond devastated to have this happen, as I know you are. Don't let it just go away for them. Cut and paste your post and leave it as a review on their site. And contact a lawyer.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'm so sorry this happened to you.

It sounds like there is some missing information.

You have every right to question the care your dog received, the best way I can see to do that is to send them the questions and concerns in writing so that they can explain. if they can not adequately explain then I would approach their governing association.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts