Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This started over the weekend. Otherwise there were no obvious signs of this problem. Friday night I noticed by five year old Beagle/Coonhound mix was having some troubles walking. Now I know he has one claw on one of his hind legs that grows faster than the others and often bothers him, but we had gotten the claw clipped over a week ago and he hasn't shown any signs of it bothering him since.

The next day, his balance was terrible and he had troubles going up and down the stairs. He would often wobble and fall over or his legs would just give out.

On Sunday, him and my other dog got loose out of the house and he was unable to run like he usually would. He kept falling, then for the rest of the night, he could barely walk at all. After some rest in his kennel to keep him from exhausting himself more, he seemed to get a bit better, but his legs are still weak.

I'm calling my vet in the morning because she isn't open on Mondays typically. But I was wondering if anyone would know what it could possibly be. He has shown no signs of dragging his foot or standing on it odd, or even standing with his hind legs close together. He just has no strength and balance in them.

His appetite is a bit down, but he is still eating and drinking water, along with going to the bathroom outside.

Thank you for your advice and time.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
There could be many reasons but usually with the back legs it is related to spinal or brain.
The worse scenario would be Degenerative Myelopathy but that is usually seen in older (8+ yrs) dogs
Only a Vet can help you please get him to one ASAP!
Please keep us posted as everyone can possibly learn from your experience!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There could be many reasons but usually with the back legs it is related to spinal or brain.
The worse scenario would be Degenerative Myelopathy but that is usually seen in older (8+ yrs) dogs
Only a Vet can help you please get him to one ASAP!
Please keep us posted as everyone can possibly learn from your experience!
I will. I'm calling her first thing in the morning. I don't know if she will get me in tomorrow or if it will have to be scheduled for wednesday. I'm hoping the sooner to find out what is wrong, but if we have to have him put down, it will be harder tomorrow because I would be going to the vet alone, versus on Wednesday when my boyfriend can come with me.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Please take the dog to emergency vet or even ring them to see if it could wait or not! If this were my Jessie or Charlie I'd ring parent or friend and rush then down to emergency vet.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I'm with Crazy--get that dog to a vet, even if it means going into emergency and paying the price. Some of these things can be reversed if addressed immediately. A previously healthy dog, losing ability to walk is not good!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello. Sorry to hear about your dog. Short legged dogs, such as Beagles, can develop Ivdd, which is a genetic disease in which the disks in their back calcified and sometimes herniate which puts pressure on the spinal cord, Dodgerslist.com is a GREAT source of info! Good luck, hope your baby is feeling better SOON!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Hopefully, you're getting your dog to the vet today. Can you please update us?

Wishing you all of my best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts