Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dog is behaving pretty nice, I'm walking him without leash everywhere, even if there are other dogs, cats or whatever, but there is one specific thing and I knew that it will have to be solved once, and I didn't know it will start happening now when he's already 2 years old. So the breed is German Shepherd and as I said above he's behaving pretty good, but there is one specific thing, or maybe even two things that concern me. So the thing is when my dog sees that someone is afraid of him, pulling back from him and trying to go away he will most likely attack, not literally like, he never bit anyone before, but it's leading to that, he starts jumping around that person, opening his mouth and showing his teeth, he knows if he bites it won't be good, he never did it, but people who are scared of him, this way get scared even more. So last week I took him camping with me and there was like a 2 year old boy who he went to and I was playing cards with my friends and didn't even notice. The boy himself didn't get scared and he pet my dog, but when his mother turned around and saw huge dog she immediately took kid in her arms and started not literally again running, but trying to back off, so again when he saw that she was scared he started jumping around her and as they say trying to bite her, but I know he would bite if he wanted to because it's not really hard to bite if you are dog, but he didn't bite her, he just started jumping on/around her as they say and tried to attack, so it ended up people from their camp chasing my dog back and yelling kill him/throw him and stuff. I know Serbia is primitive, but they were just trying to be protective. However I hope that you understand that problem, when he sees someone who is afraid he puts himself in charge and maybe tries to warn me because he is trying to attack and jumping but won't bite, or won't let them go, I really don't understand what is he trying to do and how to correct it, I know dogs have sixth sense and they can sense negative energy, fear, nervous and stuff. I think it's because that's the way I play with him, like chasing him/playing with him like another dog, and when he tries to do it with someone else and they give up, he is the alpha. And the other problem maybe it's not problem but I do get it as a problem, when he sees someone entering our yard he goes crazy like barking, growling literally chewing his cage, and when I let him out, while those people are still in the yard he goes back to normal, like nothing happened, and pays no attention to them, but when he's closed even if he knows the people he goes crazy like that, and again if he is outside his cage in the yard, he never made a problem. Please try to help me somehow, help me to understand what is he trying to do, and try to correct it somehow. Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
You've likely answered some of your own questions and it sounds like it's only a matter of time before someone freaks out and decides to defend themselves physically. Sounds like the dog has prey drive for people - and likely animals as well.

Alpha you say? Better turn that around in a hurry. Take the lead.

What I would do is find people to work willing to work with the dog while on leash - maybe muzzle train the dog just in case. Get people to replicate the situation to the dog, if the dog reacts, then it's a good time to change the attitude.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'm walking him without leash everywhere

he will most likely attack, not literally like, he never bit anyone before, but it's leading to that
You will get some good ideas about obedience training here, it sounds as if you allow this dog play around and indulge in whatever behavior it wants, and it might be better if you taught the dog to heel by your side and to put him into a sit when others are around.
During the time you are trying to change his behaviors, it might be better to leash him when you are outside your yard or when there are visitors inside your yard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well yeah, I did most of it, but you probably didn't get situation quite right. Once again as I said above he behaves like a man, not like a dog, he is goddamn intelligent for sure, and he never did attack another animal, he would probably go for cats but he never left my side if I don't allow him. 2 times when that happened, I mean when he "attacked" those people once in yard and that woman with kid, I wasn't around him, I didn't see it, if I did, he would've never done that. Because when I'm with him I'm the alpha certainly, but I love just to let him go without leash to be a dog, to go sniff and enjoy the nature. But it seems like when I'm not around with him, he does it, if he sees someone who's scared of him he puts himself in charge. And once again I think you didn't read my thread fully, because I don't have problem with him sitting next to me, or telling him to stay at some place even for hour and not moving, and he never did attack another dog or whatever, the only problem is this with people who are scared. I was maybe even thinking of castration that it would solve the problem, not totally but I have a feeling that it would help. However there are no such things like training clubs here in Serbia, and only thing "trainers" do here is beat the dogs, starve them, teach them few new tricks, and how to attack and that's it, so don't suggest me those. However I hope that you understand situation better right now and someone could provide me some help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
he behaves like a man, not like a dog
I think anthropomorphizing may be unfair to a dog. I'm sure he is very intelligent, though, I personally think German Shepherds are very smart.
If he is having this behavior while loose, and you are not there, I suggest you crate him or otherwise enclose him away from people until you get the situation handled.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I would look for breed specific information. He sounds like a typical shepherd that is left to think for himself. You need to learn how to deal with that. I would try a german shepherd forum, they might even be able to find a competent trainer for you that will help you understand drives and how to control (not suppress them).
He sounds high in fight & prey drive. These dogs can be sweet and fun when you get them under control (I had one). The fight & prey gets tuned into toys and training (done right, they will LOVE obedience), but he needs to learn to take commands from you, and you need to learn to pay 100% attention to him (not playing cards while he wanders around).
Think of him as a very large impulsive pre-teen with teeth.
Right now he's on track to becoming a very dangerous dog--if you change, learn, train, etc... he has potential to become an amazing dog.

Reactions: Lucillle

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Other people aren't at fault even if afraid of your dog. Honestly it's your job as owner to make sure he doesn't bother or attack other people. You need to manage him better.

You can allow him to sniff and ''be a dog'' with you nearby to watch him. You shouldn't be allowing him out of your sight.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys take everything literally don't you, I didn't literally mean he behaves like a man, I just wanted to point on his intelligence and good behavior, however the thing is that he never literally even payed attention to other people when i let him loose, even if they called him, but this thing started happening recently, and of course I'm not letting him without leash or far from my sight since then, but I'm just searching for a solution. It's dog that I'm playing with everyday, he lives with another dog jack russell terrier he lives with 8 other members in the house, he is being walked everyday at least 10 kilometers. So that behavior that started recently is 100% not because of lack of exercise, playing, etc... The problem is probably when it all started it seemed like he's playing and stuff and I didn't pay attention to it, and as someone said above maybe I indulged/spoiled him and not punishing him for every mistake he makes, and letting it go. It's probably most likely because of that and the way I'm playing with him, however I'm just searching for a good way to correct it now. However thank you all for your help. :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
You guys take everything literally don't you, I didn't literally mean he behaves like a man, I just wanted to point on his intelligence and good behavior, however the thing is that he never literally even payed attention to other people when i let him loose, even if they called him, but this thing started happening recently, and of course I'm not letting him without leash or far from my sight since then, but I'm just searching for a solution. It's dog that I'm playing with everyday, he lives with another dog jack russell terrier he lives with 8 other members in the house, he is being walked everyday at least 10 kilometers. So that behavior that started recently is 100% not because of lack of exercise, playing, etc... The problem is probably when it all started it seemed like he's playing and stuff and I didn't pay attention to it, and as someone said above maybe I indulged/spoiled him and not punishing him for every mistake he makes, and letting it go. It's probably most likely because of that and the way I'm playing with him, however I'm just searching for a good way to correct it now. However thank you all for your help. :)
I've had shepherds, and I know what you mean, by 'behaves like a man' (I think). They think for themselves, they look you in the eye, they make decisions. They are awesome dogs.
But, a huge responsibility if you have the 'real deal'.
Are you in Serbia? Do you know where your dog came from, breeder? They breed some serious protection dogs there. Again, high in fight & prey drives. They will take down on a man, that is what they are bred for. I LOVE those dogs, but they need to be under control, and they will excel at that.
How to tell if he just wandered in off the street.
If he was threatened, would he chose to attack or run away?
Does he really really like to chase live things (given the chance) in a serious or even angry seeming way?
Playing with your dog is fine. If you love it, and he loves it, you can use play time for training. Sit, and down, reward with play, etc...
with the play, (and I did this with my first shepherd) when it gets rough, fast and furious, stop...have him sit (or down). The instant he does, start up again (I'm assuming you are playing safely, as you have no complaints about how he plays with you). Repeat. You start the game, you stop it, you start it up again.
He will be learning to control his drives if he can do that.
BUT...if you happened to have landed a serious well-bred protection/schutzhund eastern european working line german shepherd, you need to take him VERY seriously. If so, you have a Lamborghini (or insert any fast driving car here) and he needs an expert driver. That could be you--enjoy the ride.
Find a trainer that does schutzhund or mondio-ring sport, or IPO, that might help, and is big fun too.

Reactions: Bacan1552

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I live in Serbia, and I know where he came from, I mean I went to buy him, and it's not anything from those special, aggressive, protection dogs, just a regular guy selling dogs. But his mother was really let's say "sharp" and she was so thin when I came to buy my dog, because she didn't want to eat from anyone but her owner(who was away on vacation) and she really is aggressive and protective, so maybe just genes. However to answer your story, if he wandered and was threatened I really don't know what he would do, because whenever we see dog while walking I tell him to sit and dog comes close, and he makes friends, but if threatened I think he would attack, but I'm not sure. He doesn't really like to chase live things except cats, which I think is normal, birds drink water in his cage from his bowl and stuff, he really does like other animals. And when I'm playing with him for example tug of war, firstly I make him sit, he immediately makes an eye contact, he looks me in the eyes most of the time anyway, and then we play. If as you said he gets too aggressive I just tell him "leave it"(something like that in Serbian) and he does it immediately. However I am trying to do everything good with him, I am thinking whole time is this good, what should I do, how should I do it, I do a lot of research, watch videos and stuff, I really am interested in my dog and want to make him act like a human(again not literally, just a totally stable dog), so I'm not like most people here who have dogs and just keep them chained for their whole life and never let them, walk them or whatever. I just want things to get as they used to be, so I can let my dog loose everywhere I want, without thinking he would hurt someone or do something bad. I want to give him full freedom which I think dogs deserve, not literally in the city or where are a lot of people and those kinda places, but when I go to the riverside or wherever in nature/camping, I don't want to think if someone shows up that he will attack or whatever. I really want to understand this problem and solve it somehow, but I need some help, which I don't really think I can find online fully. However there is a dog whisperer in Serbia, but his services are kind of expensive for this region/area, so I don't think my parents would let me do something like that. But certainly I would like to consult someone like that, who would immediately understand it and make things easier.

·
Registered
884 Posts
He sounds delightful, and you obviously have been working with him, but, yes, sounds like those eastern european genes are definitely in there.
I know you want to do right by him, but speaking for myself, I am definitely out of my depth here (as in I cannot advise you)--I don't have the knowledge/experience or expertise to help you with a dog like that (even if I am just a wee bit jealous, because you could be in for an amazing ride if you are up to it)
You need folks that have trained/worked with multiple 'protection type' dogs, working line shepherds.
If @DriveDog wants to chime in, go for it.
Just saying, as for 'off-leash' and 'just being a dog': that is only fine once you have him 100% under control. That means you can call him off anything anytime. Otherwise, be careful. Sounds like he's a capable dog, all grown up now, and letting you know.
Owning a shepherd is like having a partner, but you still need to be a leader as he inhabits your world (unless, you know, the world is ending, and zombies are taking over, in which case, I'd hand leadership over to the dog)
Wishing you the best with your dog--I'm out as far as advice, though.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Breed aside, the easiest solution really is just managing your dog. Not allowing him to wander off out of your sight.

Ultimately for training, you need to be able to see what your dog is doing. If you cannot see your dog you are not able to reward what you like or address unwanted behavior.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
884 Posts
Breed aside, the easiest solution really is just managing your dog. Not allowing him to wander off out of your sight.

Ultimately for training, you need to be able to see what your dog is doing. If you cannot see your dog you are not able to reward what you like or address unwanted behavior.
Posted via Mobile Device
^this, thanks for that @kmes
'out of sight' or 'out of mind' should never ever happen, no matter what. Bears repeating.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Your dog has come into full maturity mostly and without its handler present the dog is acting as it is genetically wired to behave now that he is fully aware of his " abilities". The behavior of your dog while unattended comes as no surprise to me. There might be ways to train the behavior out but it is pretty obvious while the dog is under your command and control, the dog defaults to your expectations, which is good. As far as any approach suitable for this forum, to train your dog's behavior while unattended, you might try and create an aura that your "eyes" are ALWAYS on your dog. Maybe start with this simple exercise. Place your dog outside on a down stay and then go inside where you can view the dog but the dog cannot view you or scent you and the moment the dog breaks, you verbally correct the dog before physically appearing. As I mentioned, this is just a basic beginning point. The overall idea is to convince your dog that "big brother" is always watching, ALWAYS. The dog left to its own devices unattended without any potential for consequence will indulge itself. Your dog needs to learn to be under your command when you are not present and it can be done but it requires consistent accurately timed corrections on your behalf, along with some craftiness.

Otherwise, I agree with kmes " Not allowing him to wander off out of your sight."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts