Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short. I keft my lab alone in a room for about 4 hours. Aside from eating 8 cups of cat food she didnt destroy anything.

Now back to 8 cuos, yes 8 cups. It was from one of those gravity fed cat bowls. Sooo what should i do? Shes definitely not getting any food tonight or in the morning. But other that that im not sure what to do

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
She'll be fine. Cat food is only really bad for dogs if they're fed it consistently for a long time because the protein content is too high for their kidneys. Just skip dinner tonight and I wouldn't worry much.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine's been known to sneak off with a bunch of cat food after visiting an ex g/f's house. He was fine.

His favorite treats were the fresh cat turds out of the litter box. Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside. Yeah.... had to do something about that.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine's been known to sneak off with a bunch of cat food after visiting an ex g/f's house. He was fine.

His favorite treats were the fresh cat turds out of the litter box. Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside. Yeah.... had to do something about that.
Omg she did that once too with the cat liter. Probably the moat disgusting thing shes done

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I knew a Yorkie that was only fed cat food, never dog food. He lived to be over 15 years old. The main problem with letting them live off cat food is that it's not nutritionally complete for dogs. The Yorkie had dry eyes, horrid skin, and a bad coat. Cats however cannot live off of dog food, it does not have taurine added which they need to live.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Trucker steals cat food all the time (we are working on it) and he snacks from the litter box (working on that too). As long as it isn't regular you are fine.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Chester used to steal from the cats food and occasionally the litter box too. He has now stopped, and he has had no ill effects. Though he never ate more than half a cup at a time. Like others mentioned, it really depends if they are getting it regularly.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Ditto, probably just an updet stomach at most.

Big difference seems to be the taurine in cat food. I know it's common thought that cat food is too high in protein for dogs, but when you really read labels... Idk...
Grain free, higher end dog foods have similar if not more protein than many cat foods.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 10 of 10 Posts