Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was outside in the garden my 9 month old Beagle x K.C. Cavalier found a bag of chocolate coated licorice and basically ate the chocolate but left most of the licorice. How concerned should I be? It was about 6 pieces of milk chocolate
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I understand that chocolate is supposed to be toxic to dogs - but several years ago our Lab polished off an unopened box of chocolates at Christmas while we were out - was fine afterwards. Perhaps her size assisted in dealing with the chocolate? Thought I would share this story as we were initially concerned but vet's office told us to observe and if we noticed any serious concerns to bring her in. I am sure this happens more often than one would expect - our canine pals can be very fast and sneaky when they want! Hopefully your experience will be similar. Good luck!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,267 Posts
I understand that chocolate is supposed to be toxic to dogs - but several years ago our Lab polished off an unopened box of chocolates at Christmas while we were out - was fine afterwards. Perhaps her size assisted in dealing with the chocolate? Thought I would share this story as we were initially concerned but vet's office told us to observe and if we noticed any serious concerns to bring her in. I am sure this happens more often than one would expect - our canine pals can be very fast and sneaky when they want! Hopefully your experience will be similar. Good luck!
There is a correlation between the size of the dog and the amount consumed. And it helps if it is milk chocolate rather than dark. Glad she was ok!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought I would give an update: After speaking to my vet and some friends, I took a "wait and see" approach and just kept an eye on him for the day. He showed no signs of any stomach issues or sugar high, although I'm not sure how I would be able to tell the difference since he is already a high energy puppy. All my research and advice says that cooking chocolate is the big concern and a small amount of milk chocolate is unlikely to cause any major problems but all chocolate contains the toxic ingredient "theobromine"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Thought I would give an update: After speaking to my vet and some friends, I took a "wait and see" approach and just kept an eye on him for the day. He showed no signs of any stomach issues or sugar high, although I'm not sure how I would be able to tell the difference since he is already a high energy puppy. All my research and advice says that cooking chocolate is the big concern and a small amount of milk chocolate is unlikely to cause any major problems but all chocolate contains the toxic ingredient "theobromine"
So happy he is alright!!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top