Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I need some quick advice..

My dog Johnny had radial nerve damage and because of this, he had an open sore on his foot that we had to keep bandaged until it healed. It was wrapped in gauze, a non-stick pad, and an ace bandage. One morning he decided to eat this bandage, and because he couldn't feel his paw, he subsequently damaged his paw pretty badly. We decided to amputate his leg because the damage was so bad.

I told the vet that he ate the bandage, he was in his crate and came out without it on. It was nowhere near the crate or anything. She didn't do anything about the bandage, even though we brought him in within hours of this happening.

Now, 2 weeks later, he starts suffering from belly pain and I can tell he is really blocked up. I take him to the vet, and sure enough the bandage is stuck in his belly and trying to get to his intestines. He just had another surgery yesterday to remove it.

My question is, should I be making any kind of deal about this? I don't feel like I should be paying for the surgery because I told them 2 weeks ago that he ate it, and now the surgery is more than his amputation. Any advice is much appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
I would be making a big deal out of it...if you told your vet: listen he ate a freaking bandage any 'decent' vet would be keeping an eye on it it...mine definitely would.

While explorative surgery is usually avoided though, I would certainly expect my vet to take this to heart especially as it has now caused a blockage that needed to be removed.

When it comes to fees....uh, most vets would wait and see if the object passes naturally. Once a dog starts vomiting and presenting signs of pain and discomfort is usually when they start intervening. Any time before the best course is usually to hope that it will pass and not cause unnecessary surgery so they might have well acted in the best possible way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Do you think maybe they should have made him throw it up? I didn't think about it at the time but now that I am, I'm wondering if there was something more they could have done before he ended up in this situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,899 Posts
Thank you. Do you think maybe they should have made him throw it up? I didn't think about it at the time but now that I am, I'm wondering if there was something more they could have done before he ended up in this situation.
I don't know I would think so because it doesn't have sharp edges so it wouldn't damage the inside of the neck when coming up. However im not a vet so I really don't know what the protocols are about when or if to make a dog throw up something it has eaten.

you could get a second opinion from another vet but of course that would be more money spent.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,829 Posts
Granted, they should have directly addressed the situation with you when you mentioned it, it appears (to me at least) it would have been handled pretty much the same way.

They would have taken the "wait and see" approach to see if it passed on its own. If not and it causes problems, then they would have done surgery to have it removed. I highly doubt it would have been able to be thrown up and if it was a long bandage would probably have done more damage on it's way back up.

If you must, see if they will comp the X-Rays to find the bandage (since you told them it was there and they didn't directly discuss this with you), but I think the surgery still would have been required.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Grabby

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,331 Posts
There was really nothing to do except wait to see if it passed. Since it did not, and got stuck, then he needed surgery. It is surprising to me if they did not have a conversation with you about what to watch for, and if they did not talk with you about this, then that was their lapse. But again, surgery was not really going to be avoided by a conversation. No, I don't think inducing vomiting was the solution. That can be a recipe for choking the dog with such a large object. Usually one waits and watches for it to pass through.

Really, he should have had a "cone" put on him to keep him from bothering, much less eating, the bandage. If they sent you home with the cone, and you took it off, then that's on you. If they did not send you home with a cone, and/or failed to caution you about making sure he did not bother the bandage, then I suppose that was somewhat on them, but even so, the home care is your responsibility, not theirs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,885 Posts
Yep, nothing to do but wait, see and hope for the best. I mean, he could have pumped your dog's stomach BUT if it didn't work, it would slow the passage of the bandage or even get stuck in the esophagus. And obviously surgery is an option to be avoided unless totally necessary.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top