Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dog and my roommates dog just met for the first time, I was SO stressed out about it as this dog is basically the rudest animal I've ever seen when meeting new dogs, he barks violently and body blocks the other dog for quite a while until he calms down. My dog is very easily frightened by other dogs and I knew at some point she would snap at him when he exhibited this behaviour, and I wasn't sure how he would react to being snapped at as he's quite dominant and was very worried that a fight would break out.
We introduced on leash on neutral territory, on a pack walk, at first it went exactly as I expected, w/ my roommate's dog Horton barking and getting in Nika's space, and her snapping at him because of his behaviour, but there was no fighting. However by the end of the 30-40min walk they were sniffing noses and behinds w/ very minimal snapping. I'm just so pleased it all went down alright. We will keep them under super close supervision for quite a while, but I'm hoping they can learn to live together, even if Nika does spend most of her time hiding in my room.
I just wanted to share because this is something I have been literally making myself sick worrying over, and it ended up not being as bad as I expected.
=)

·
Registered
502 Posts
That's great! I know exactly how it feels, 2 months ago i moved into a house with my 3 dogs and 3 dogs already there. My one dog is absolutely terrible at living with other dogs, although otherwise she's ok with them. And 2 of the dogs were not particularly well behaved, but it's worked out all right by taking it slow. It's very stressful!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Glad someone knows where I'm coming from and I'm so glad you worked it out w/ all the dogs at your house.
We are planning on introducing them again(we have been keeping them separated in the house) in the backyard today when I get home from work. Just taking it super slow, like you said. And you're right, it does not help when one of the dogs is poorly behaved like my roommates', man he is crazy, he is not well trained either, only barely knows sit 50% of the time, that's it. I have told her to work on "look at me" to help w/ his dog reactivity, but she really doesn't work w/ him much at all and it's not my place to offer too much unsolicited advice; I've already got them to switch foods from Pedigree to something more meat based(they couldn't remember what they bought but said they took my advice and it had meat/meat meal as the first ingredients), I really don't want to completely take over how they're raising their dog so I'm trying my best to stay out of it unless asked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts