Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me introduce myself. I live in a small village in Bulgaria and take my dog out every day in a mountain. He is german shepherd and his name is Djaro. He is 3 years old and ever since he was 4 months I have been taking him out with people who have german shepherds as well in the mountain. The "pack" is now 5 dogs. Djaro, his son (who is 8 months old, his name is Brams), Brams's mother and 2 other females. All german shepherds. Djaro is very large dog. He is the size of an alabai. His son (Name: Brams) was born in July. Djaro was the second dog Brams saw after his mom. They have been together ever since. HIs son is growing big like his father (Djaro). They are almost the same size. Djaro is very smart and trained dog. But now that his son is getting bigger Djaro always makes Brams obey him. Every day, the first thing he does when we meet is go to Brams and make Brams lay down. Then throughout the walk there are some moments when he literally jumps on him and Brams starts crying. I thought that Djaro bites him or something but no. Never. Not even a scratch. Even tho it looks like Djaro is going to kill his son, Djaro never bites Brams. Never. Isn't it weird? We haven't done anything (Me and Brams's owner). We always let them deal with their business the way they think is right. But i don't know what's the right way to treat this situation. Brams is scared of his father. I can see it. I think Djaro is setting up the hierarchy this way but who knows. What do I do? Am I doing right by letting my dog force himself on his son?

·
Super Moderator
668 Posts
No. I dont think it is right to allow one dog to, in effect, bully another. The victim might develop a fear of other dogs and that can lead to aggressive behaviour to other dogs in the victim. Also, Brams will be reaching adolescence, his hormones will be spiking - another possibility is that it turns into a full blown fight with Djaro and either or both dogs are injured.

I'd stop walking them together, or keep them on a leash or long line to give you control (which you don't currently have).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

1. No. I dont think it is right to allow one dog to, in effect, bully another. The victim might develop a fear of other dogs and that can lead to aggressive behaviour to other dogs in the victim. Also, Brams will be reaching adolescence, his hormones will be spiking - another possibility is that it turns into a full blown fight with Djaro and either or both dogs are injured.

I'd stop walking them together, or keep them on a leash or long line to give you control (which you don't currently have).

2. No. I dont think it is right to allow one dog to, in effect, bully another. The victim might develop a fear of other dogs and that can lead to aggressive behaviour to other dogs in the victim. Also, Brams will be reaching adolescence, his hormones will be spiking - another possibility is that it turns into a full blown fight with Djaro and either or both dogs are injured.

Thank you! I will take your advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts