Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i feed my dog twice a day once in the morning after a short walk and once at night time after a walk when i get home from work. He never seems to want to eat his food, unless i sit there until he eats its like he is not interested in it at all and i have switched dry dog food like 4 times blue buffalo chicken/ duck, now taste of the wild grain free fowler flavor or something, also tried natures instinct grain free. With all of them he seems to not car about eating it, but he will eat virtually everything else. lettuce, spinach, carrots, celery blueberries, bananas, even the cats dry food! lol, literally anything he will eat its crazy. Not sure if i need to just switch off dry dog food and make his meals like steamed chicken with rice and some veggies or not. He does have stinky gas and his poops ok more on the soft side currently. unless he eat and doesnt poop until the morning then its more solid because i think it has more time in the stomach to digest, but im not sure just a thought. Anyways I would like him to be excited to eat his meals and something to look forward too, but he just like whatever with his dry dog food. (hes a lab/pit mix)

Thanks for any healp or advice much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
You can certainly make his food, but you need a nutritionally complete formula.

If he likes the cat's food, I'd suggest you try Acana's fish blend. It stinks just like cat food. If that doesn't work, then you might want to try researching a raw diet. There are some very informative threads on that on this forum.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Ok so i feed my dog twice a day once in the morning after a short walk and once at night time after a walk when i get home from work. He never seems to want to eat his food, unless i sit there until he eats its like he is not interested in it at all and i have switched dry dog food like 4 times blue buffalo chicken/ duck, now taste of the wild grain free fowler flavor or something, also tried natures instinct grain free. With all of them he seems to not car about eating it, but he will eat virtually everything else. lettuce, spinach, carrots, celery blueberries, bananas, even the cats dry food! lol, literally anything he will eat its crazy. Not sure if i need to just switch off dry dog food and make his meals like steamed chicken with rice and some veggies or not. He does have stinky gas and his poops ok more on the soft side currently. unless he eat and doesnt poop until the morning then its more solid because i think it has more time in the stomach to digest, but im not sure just a thought. Anyways I would like him to be excited to eat his meals and something to look forward too, but he just like whatever with his dry dog food. (hes a lab/pit mix)

Thanks for any healp or advice much appreciated!

He could be sensitive to chicken, if I looked up the right foods the common protein in them is chicken. He may be associating eating the food with an upset tummy.

Try switching him to a food that does not include chicken and see if that helps with the gas and soft poop. I'd also look for one that does not includes to many different proteins.

Here's a few if you want to try them. There are list of ingredients at the links, it's located before the reviews.
Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food, 30-lb bag
Fromm Four-Star Nutritionals Grain-Free Pork & Peas Recipe Dry Dog Food, 26-lb bag
Zignature Trout & Salmon Meal Limited Ingredient Formula Dry Dog Food, 27-lb bag

·
Registered
455 Posts
My girl is not a big eater, with anything really, just not very food motivated. What works for me is putting just a little bit of wet food in the bottom of the bowl, then mixing that w a little bit of water so it's like a thick gravy consistency, then I mix her dry food in w that really well so it's thoroughly coated. She eats it pretty well. Might be something to try.
Of course you can always try home cooking too, just make sure it's nutritionally complete -- a supplement will help.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
53 Posts
if you have the time, homecook is still the best. You can control the quality of the ingredients that goes into it, and there are tonnes of resources online on how to balance it.

Online Resource for Homemade Dog Food – EuniquePets

If you really don't have the time to balance it, just give some plain meat, plus some vege and carbs, top up with nutrient supplements. And you can easily rotate a few meat types, like chicken, pork, duck, fish, beef, mutton. They will never get bored of the same food.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
id feed a novel protien formula turkey, salmon, rabbit but single ingredient

1 - 7 of 7 Posts