Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see my dog’s toenail is almost completely sideways, I try to keep them trimmed, though she has issues with clippers. I haven’t noticed them being this crooked before this past month, but my mom has, I just wanna make sure she’s not in pain

·
Super Moderator
1,582 Posts
Could it be from an old injury? How is her pad, and does she walk without any problems?

If she has issues with clippers, have you tried a file or a dremel tool?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could it be from an old injury? How is her pad, and does she walk without any problems?

If she has issues with clippers, have you tried a file or a dremel tool?
She hasn’t had an injury but her pads do feel swollen. She limps on and off and I haven’t been able to find a reason for her limping, because it doesn’t seem to be the same paw and she never yelps or narls when I touch the one she limps one. She typically walks with no problems.

She is very bad with anything touching her paws so once this whole corona thing passes I will start taking her to the groomers and getting her nails dremmeled, and potentially take her to the vet.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I wondered if she might be a long-legged running dog. My lurcher's claws are quite askew:

A lurcher trainer/breeder told me this : 'the nails angling in are running injuries and unpreventable. Twists and turns sometimes pull the nails out of true, and the dog is not lame or is barely lame, so we don't notice. In any case, there is nothing we can do. Any running dog that has not been kept in a jar full of cotton wool will have pulled nails.'

So hopefully, your dog's nails are similar and not a problem. Is there any chance you could wiggle/press on a toe to check if it hurts, or would she react anyway?

If you're on Facebook, there's an excellent group called Nail Maintenance for Dogs which takes you really slowly through the process of getting your dog happy with clippers or a dremmel. There's also discussion of training your dog to use a scratchboard, which is an excellent alternative that can get results quite quickly. Here's a random video I found on Youtube:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wondered if she might be a long-legged running dog. My lurcher's claws are quite askew:

A lurcher trainer/breeder told me this : 'the nails angling in are running injuries and unpreventable. Twists and turns sometimes pull the nails out of true, and the dog is not lame or is barely lame, so we don't notice. In any case, there is nothing we can do. Any running dog that has not been kept in a jar full of cotton wool will have pulled nails.'

So hopefully, your dog's nails are similar and not a problem. Is there any chance you could wiggle/press on a toe to check if it hurts, or would she react anyway?

If you're on Facebook, there's an excellent group called Nail Maintenance for Dogs which takes you really slowly through the process of getting your dog happy with clippers or a dremmel. There's also discussion of training your dog to use a scratchboard, which is an excellent alternative that can get results quite quickly. Here's a random video I found on Youtube:
She reacts to any paw or nail touching so it’s hard to tell if it’s from that. Those nails look very similar though and it sounds like that’s a very big possibility.

I will be checking out the facebook group, discussion, and YouTube very soon. Thank you so much for your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts