Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg After a few weeks of having a split nail, my dogs nail came off completely or atleast the cover of his nail? It’s not bleeding at all but it’s slightly swollen. he’s only licked it a few times. he’s seems to be walking fine. Please give me advice, he’s my best friend and I want him to be healthy.

·
Registered
194 Posts
So you’re able to see the quick? I would go to see the vet since there’s a risk of inflammation in the rim and the bone of the claw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you’re able to see the quick? I would go to see the vet since there’s a risk of inflammation in the rim and the bone of the claw.
I’m not sure it looks like a tiny nail maybe, it’s his middle nail on his right paw

·
Super Moderator
10,725 Posts
One of my old dogs did that to her dew claw. It healed up just fine and the nail grew back, I didn't do anything special to get it to heal. I'd take your dog to the vet just to be on the safe side, but I think she'll also heal up just fine. What I'm more concerned about is the underlying reason the nail came off. In my girl's case she got into a panic, when I was not home, during a thunderstorm and her frantic digging ripped the nail off when she caught it on something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of my old dogs did that to her dew claw. It healed up just fine and the nail grew back, I didn't do anything special to get it to heal. I'd take your dog to the vet just to be on the safe side, but I think she'll also heal up just fine. What I'm more concerned about is the underlying reason the nail came off. In my girl's case she got into a panic, when I was not home, during a thunderstorm and her frantic digging ripped the nail off when she caught it on something.
my dog usually jumps off of my bed every day which is about a 2 foot drop onto hard wood and sometimes he scratches the carpet roughly. could that be the reason

·
Registered
194 Posts
yes but it looks like a nail is growing maybe
That might be resisting parts of the old claw. A vet will remove this since the residue can lead to infection. The reason for dogs loosing their claws is often due to some trauma or that the claws are too long. In the pictures the claw looks very long. Does he get his claws regularly cut? Just wanted to point that out so it doesn’t happen to his other claws as well.

·
Super Moderator
396 Posts
I think I see some of the quick so that really needs protected from infection (particularly when you think about where dogs put their feet).

·
Registered
194 Posts
It’s really hard to tell by the picture but my guess is that some piece of the old claw didn’t come off. However I would still take him to the vet since it can get infected. About the length of the claws they look pretty long so a good thing would be to trim them down, since too long claws can cause many different problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts