Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The situation is slightly complicated, my boyfriend and I now have a blue heeler pup. We got him from his parents who live next door who had a litter and still have the remaining pups in the back yard with the parents, ours is the first one to be seperated. We are keeping him inside but of course are taking him out to potty and relax in the sun, but I feel like the usual puppy depression associated with a new puppy is worse because only a fence is separating him from his litter mates and parents all he does is sit at the fence and whine for hours on end, bring him inside he's either asleep or whining to go outside because he knows they're out there. It's heart breaking he's even made a great Escape and we found him on the other side of the fence with his sisters, I don't know how to help him move on and adjust with all of them so close by???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's about ten weeks old and only since Thursday I've thought giving it time will help but idk since his family is right on the other side of the fence he's constantly smelling them and trying out get to them

·
Registered
115 Posts
Give him some time to adjust to his new surroundings, try play some games with, familiarisation is very important, also give him some space if he needs it, having a new puppy is always hard, best of luck:p

·
Registered
951 Posts
I don't think it would be terrible to allow him to interact with his littermates and parents for a bit each day. Probably the strangeness is hearing and smelling them but they aren't reachable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think it will just take some time, longer than most pupps proably. He is bonded with his family so ofc at the moment he just wants to go back. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to let them meet and play as that might reinforce the bond and make it harder for the puppy to bond with you, a bit like littermate syndrome.

In the meantime just play with him, give him treats so you can build on your bond and make it strong. Do some training with him aswel so you're engaging his mind. It will take time but he will miss his family less and less the more bonded he is with you.

Once he has all his shots I think it will be good for him to go to puppy class so he can meet other pups that arn't his siblings.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Once he has all his shots I think it will be good for him to go to puppy class so he can meet other pups that arn't his siblings.
Just an FYI - Pups don't need all their shots to go to a puppy socialization class. Most will allow pups that have their first set of shots in. You want to socialize them the most between 8-12 weeks so if you wait until all their shots are done you miss that window. Unless you live in an area where parvo is prevalent you can take your pup out to see the world, just stay away from heavy dog traffic areas and don't let them eat random things off the ground.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts